Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,950   Posts: 1,585,954   Online: 957

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Roanoke, Virginia

I am contemplating a move to Roanoke, Virginia in the next year or so. I would like to hear from any Apuggers who live (or have lived) in the area. I am interested in learning about the general climate, cost of living, "art-friendliness" of the community, why you like (or dislike) living/having lived there, and anything else you would like to share with me.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have visited there- though only for a few days. I found a few good coffee shops and restaurants downtown- for me a good indicator of a decent place to be. Best info that I can offer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Never lived there, but it is pretty close to Smith Mountain Lake and has a 1st class railroad museum.
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although I live in Charlottesville, (about an hour and a half from Roanoke), I have visited there from time to time. It's in a great location, near the Blue Ridge, and has a great art scene. There are great restaurants downtown, which is going through a massive renovation, and has great potential for getting in on the ground floor for gallery space or any other business. The cost are much lower than, say, Charlottesville, and if it were me I wouldn't hesitate to move there. Get in touch if you are planning on a visit, I'd be glad to show you around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Roanoke is nice! Richard (above) can give a great tour of all the surrounding areas, you should take him up on that. The man knows more places in the state than a congressional candidate.

The only knock against Roanoke, in my opinion, is lack of proximity to a big city... if you want that. You could check on air travel in the area, that'd be my concern (but not necessarily yours). Roanoke sure is pretty though, and if you are outdoorsy, you'll love it.

Michigan, brrr...!! Get down to Virginia with all due haste, you won't regret it.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Virginia has covered bridges in that part of the state.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin