Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,533   Posts: 1,544,006   Online: 1035

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Helsinki in January

Hello all,

I'm likely to be in Helsinki next week, and am poundering whether I should bring my Rolleiflex with me or not.

I'll be busy during working hours (delivering a training) and wonder if there would be any chances I can have photographic opportunities after this (I guess there isn't much sunlight at this period of year)

Your advices, guidances, etc... would be appreciated !
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is loads of snow in Helsinki this winter but daylight is a problem. Sunrise/sunset 09:17 15:39

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As Shimoda said above darkness and cold (-15C at the moment) is going to be your main problem. Right now at 1 PM when the sun is (almost) shining you could get away with 100 ASA film but two-three hours later 1600 ASA is barely enough. Maybe you can squeeze in a short photography session during your lunch hour? It's usually bright enough to snap a few photos then. Another option would be to carry a small tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for you feedback !

I think I'll pack my Velbon and some Delta 3200, along with some warm clothes.

Non-photography related : how do people manage shoeing for business purposes, with so much snow ? (aka "is it OK to have heavy shoes and the only ones, or should I bring some less "casual" ones ?)

I had a first look, and have a feeling that Kiasma is a place to go, would you confirm ?
    (All other suggestions are welcome !)
    Laurent

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Laurent, people here are very open minded and pragmatic about clothing. It's quite OK to use heavy shoes in the office when the weather demands it but I wouldn't recommend it. It's just too uncomfortable. Take two pairs: one pair of rugged shoes (I'm using common trainers) for outside and another pair of more comfortable leather shoes for inside use. You can see people changing shoes all the time in the office lobbies.

Oh yeah, Kiasma is definitely a place to visit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another good one quite nearby would be this: http://www.hel.fi/hki/Museo/en/Etusivu
    The exhibition place - an old Russian villa - is situated quite comfortably 500 meters north from Kiasma along the Mannerheim street (Mannerheimintie in finnish). You can see Mr. Mannerheim himself near the entrance of Kiasma riding his bronze horse to the south, so you walk pass him. On the left side stands the monumental parliament house and on your right side they are constructing a new music house. You'll find the exhibition immediately behind the new music house construction site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, now that I'm back, I can update the thread...

I had some interesting time in Helsinki, which is quite a nice city to visit ! The cold was quite interesting, and especially the feeling of cold for a temperature that was above 0°C !

I used some Delta3200 rated at 1600, as the only moments when I was able to photograph were at night... another interesting thing is to experiment such short days ! I've never been that far to the north before, and it was an experience.

I had an interesting time at the airport, as the guys did not understand what was in my bag... they absolutely refused to get the film out, even after I tried to explain what it was. Finally a very nervous lady told me she had to see what was in my Lowepro bag. She looked at the top of my Rolleiflex with what I felt as some despair, and clearly she did not know how to go further. When I proposed to get the camera out of the bag, she refused but I still did it, to get rid of that ridiculous situation. When I finally opened the camera, she laughed and of course everything was OK. My feeling afterwards is that the saw the little gears on their screen and could no relate them to anything they knew, which might indicate they do not see too many Rolleiflexes these days...

end of the story : the films look nice, at least on the contact sheets, so there was no wharm, but I felt miserable for a few days at the idea of something nasty could have happened to my film.

I'm looking forward to the next opportunity to go there, may be with some light this time !
    Laurent

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and you're right about Rolleiflex. Younger generation here don't know what it is. Please come back in June or July and you will not believe your eyes how different it can be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm afraid it's about the same in France (OTH, it keeps prices at a more reasonable level !)

Forgot to mention the visit to Kiasma was a great one, and the dinner(s) at café Zetor were also something interesting (sorry for the reindeers, this was one of the meats I wanted to try at least once).

I already told the colleagues there to call me when they have a new requirement !
    Laurent

My APUG Blog

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin