Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,897   Posts: 1,521,017   Online: 819

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shanghai

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Speak to the papers and magazines, you will need to have digital capture but the mere fact you are there may interest them.
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    Thank you Colin.
    I am actually looking for people in Greece interested in my voyage and its artistic possibilities and have made a couple moves so far. I am not a bad photographer and I am sure, not many people plan to spend months in such a rich environment studying its culture, so there are prospects for cooperation!

I am hunting for an apartment in smartshangai.com, possibly in the French Concession, or somewhere else convenient to JiaoTong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ooo.. shanghaiexpat.com. It can be a valuable site, but lots of racist idiots.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you for the information, I need all the help I can get.
    I am also trying to establish some contacts here.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have absolutely no advice to offer, and don't mean to hijack the thread, but wow... sounds like an awesome plan for you. I hope you will blog about it!! Best wishes on preparing, and looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    At the middle of February, I will be going to Shanghai and I will be staying for quite some time. You see, I will be attending at the Jiao Tong university's language and culture program and next semester going for a master's degree.
    I have not given up photography, although I have slowed down lately, so I will be bringing my Rolleiflex and a couple Holgas.

So, you know what I am asking you

1) If anyone wants to meet, or maybe pointers to local photographers and other artists
    2) Photographic stores that still carry analog materials and could develop a C-41 film
    3) Any other kinds of advice, photographic project ideas, living tips, that sort of thing

Hey Ari, I am in Shanghai at least once a month and normallr for one or two weeks. Next trip is in week of 21st Feb....would love to meet. let me know if you are up for it. Send me a PM.

For the photographic store, try the photographic centre on Luban Lu (don't have address on hand)..it's a treasure trove of analog equipment too...too bad the Renmimbi is so strong right now.

For living trips...well I lived there 4 years, and the place changes quickly, buut for sure you will find everyting you need there. For photographic tips, well it's an easy place to photograph and like all rapidly changing metropolis's there are endless subjects.

K
    Rgds, K
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good mention on the strong renminbi. Photographic equipment in Shanghai is not cheap... bring whatever equipment you need (other than film).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to spend a lot of time in China, but have never been to Shanghai except to change planes. I'm sure it is a street photographer's paradise and that you will enjoy your stay immensly. Like Suzanne, I hope you start a blog to keep us up-to-date with your experiences. I have only good memories of China and trust yours will be the same.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you, once more.
    I am opening up all possibilities both of cooperation and of learning opportunities.
    I am hungry to devour as much culture and knowledge as I can.
    Also, I am speaking to people here, just in case someone cares about my trip. Maybe, I can even get an artistic project going, so creating not just learning.

The whole equipment thing has me thinking a lot.
    I don't know if I can get film before I leave and I don't have that much.
    I plan to bring a whole lot of cameras though, the Hasselblad or the Rolleiflex, an Holga or two and my DSLR.

We'll see.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Large Format
    Keep the reports coming
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin