Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,963   Online: 887

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shanghai

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Taxi's are cheap. the drivers would scare any US drivers...get you there quick though...

Shanghai central University has an excellent darkroom

Foot massages are about $6 USD. Awesome after a day on the streets

KE Art Center - http://www.kecenter.org.cn/en/aboutus.html

If you can get out of the city, the water villages are quite unique (Wu Zhen)
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    At the middle of February, I will be going to Shanghai and I will be staying for quite some time. You see, I will be attending at the Jiao Tong university's language and culture program and next semester going for a master's degree.
    I have not given up photography, although I have slowed down lately, so I will be bringing my Rolleiflex and a couple Holgas.

So, you know what I am asking you

1) If anyone wants to meet, or maybe pointers to local photographers and other artists
    2) Photographic stores that still carry analog materials and could develop a C-41 film
    3) Any other kinds of advice, photographic project ideas, living tips, that sort of thing
    Im also going to be in Shanghai late feb. Send me a PM.

Taxis are a good choice in Shanghai but i would get someone to write down some addresses in Chinese for the places you go often. I would also buy a prepaid mobile number so you can call up a friend/contact who speaks chinese and can translate for you in case you get seriously lost or something. In my experience, very few people speak any English although most will try to be helpful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am packing and getting ready to go...
    (decided to go with film again... hard headed...)
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    aristotelis:

Enjoy the journey!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    aristotelis:

Enjoy the journey!
    Seconded. And in case you need something to listen to on the road, here's the song that always gets caught in my head when travelling there:
    http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/mp...b-cyl5451d.mp3
    (public domain MP3, from an Edison cylinder so the sound quality is a bit rough).

The lyrics are somewhat racist by modern standards, but it's still a well-executed piece of songwriting, and in 1917 I'm sure it sounded completely innocuous.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ok, guys, I've been about a month here now.
    I really love Shanghai!
    And I have yet to experience most of it!
    But I live next to the university in a good neighborhood, I've made friends (including two Chinese who speak greek), I've bought a bicycle and connected with the local cyclists, I been in many restaurants and had a hint of the bar scene.
    I am learning the language and next week I also start calligraphy , painting and taijiquan. I am also looking for a ballet school and possibly a wing chun school if I manage my time well.
    I have been taking photos, but they are snapshots of little things, with my cell phone mostly.
    I haven't really used the Rolleiflex and the Holga I brought with me as I am waiting for a more peaceful mind when I have everything better organized.

I met with Kal Khogali and Derek Xu and we had a blast! Looking forward to seeing them again!

So, if anyone else happens to be around and want to meet, don't hesitate to send me a message.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Large Format
    watching for your posts
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin