Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,102   Online: 1042

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Zealand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am 45mins north of Auckland. Definitely don't judge NZ by Auckland A NZ city will never compare to the unbelievable beauty that lies just beyond it. You might want to take a bus tour to the tip of the North Island, it is a big day trip and you can depart from the city centre. If you are renting a vehicle I highly recommend getting a GPS, NZ road signage will give you a nervous breakdown hehe. If you head up my way just let me know, there is a big nature reserve at the end of the peninsula I am on so I could take you on a hike through the Bush and up to some hills overlooking the Hauraki Gulf, auckland in the far distance (2hr walk maybe).. pretty neat. Just PM me.

Sean

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    When I was in NZ in 1975, I remember on the news a gent replying to tourists' complaint about the lousy road signs, "If you don't know where you are, what are you doing here?"
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is there any thing of interest in Auckland? Architecture? Communities? People? Parks...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Mt Eden -- the highest point in the city that was once a fortified Maori village (or Pa). There are several other similar hills that you probably would want to check out -- One Tree Hill (also a large park), perhaps Mt Wellington. These hills will give you views of the city, and are interesting as historic Maori sites and as volcanic cones.

The Auckland War Memorial would be good place to visit. MJ Savage Memorial Park looks good on Google Earth, but I have not been there. Google Maps/Earth is a nice tool for checking out possibilities.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 01-08-2011 at 01:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cheapest place to get film is online from photo.co.nz in Christchurch. They will ship overnight to Auckland and their prices and service are the very best

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film is still readily available (35mm and 120, at least here in Wellington), but it will cost quite a bit more than back in the US. Bring it with you, just keep it in your hand carry and you'll be fine. You can sometimes find reasonable deals on the local auction site (www.trademe.co.nz). E-6 development is expensive.

Near Auckland, you've got the islands in the Hauraki Gulf that are worth a visit. A little further afield, you could head over to the Coromandel.

If you've got the use of a car, and a week or so, the options are many.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you everyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mention is made to have a look at Manukau Heads and Whaipu with its dramatic perched lighthouse on a rocky bluff. The area is renowned as an expansive, fairly pristine marine environment but the main difficulty is wind and weather and keeping dry from the tumult washing ashore. It's a good for stormy days when you can tolerate the gloom and capture something on B&W.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    st heliers beach is nice , my wife took some nice shots down there, mt wellington i second that great place to eat your drive through burger.point england is a great place lots of fantails and tui's.

piha beach just a short drive away,thats a nice quiet beach especially in the winter.

i also like north harbour again close by.

theres a good shop in morningside selling film gear, and a pro shop , cant remember the street.

nz is a great place , and auckland is great

enjoy i know i loved living there

http://www.world-of-waterfalls.com/n...iry-falls.html
    the fan tails fly around at the bottom catching flies, and they just fly around you so close, magiacl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin