Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,765   Online: 1080

Shooter
    35mm

Help me organise a Photographic/Scenic European Summer(June/July) Road Trip.

have never done anything like this before so I am in dire needs of your expert advice, suggestions, past experience knowledge and great recommendations. I need your help in planning a european summer road trip in the months of June/July (length up to 4 weeks). Six people (30+ years of age) are going to be attending. We are open to visiting all european countries and would prefer to see as many as feasible. The start and end location are open to any city which has an easily accessible airport.

The most important aspects:
    1. Have lots of fun
    2. See and Photograph amazing places & experience amazing food and culture!

I am looking forward to your response, for which I thank you in advance!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Europe is large and diverse. My advice would be to pick a direction: from north to south, from east to west or something like that. Then just go on and see what happens. Sometimes you might want to stay a couple of days in a place, sometimes just drive on. Why don't you for example start in Madrid and see if you reach the Black Sea? Or start in Riga or Istanbul and see if you reach Portugal? If you are six people you can have two cars, and choose different detours if you like. That is good.

Scandinavia has much more wilderness than south of the Baltic Sea. Deep forests, dramatic mountain range and so on. Continental Europe have more impressive cities. (My favourite building actually lies just a few hundred meters from Europe's border to Asia - Hagia Sofia in Istanbul. It was built in the 6th century as a Christian cathedral, and converted to a mosque in the 15th century.)

Read up as much as you can. It will make your journey much more interesting.

You are not from here (Europe) I guess, so do check if you need visas. Easy enough for Americans, if that is your citizenship. Some African and Asian countries have less access, if that is your nationality.

Money - just bring a visa-card or similar. It will work everywhere. Many countries but not all use Euros.

It can be really hot in southern Europe in the middle of the summer, 35-40 C. Scandinavia - where I am from - is more pleasant, but it can be rainy here for a week or so.

Is English your main language? Then you will be able to communicate everywhere from west to the borders of the former soviet union. People speak good English in the Baltics as well, I am sure.

The rules on alcohol and driving are generally very strict. Just saying, cause I don't know where you are from.

Just don't rush on to the next place, that spoils all the fun. Hang around, talk to the locals. They will show you the best places.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    gee, you are not asking for much..:-)). I dunno, but dont miss out Portugal..all of it.
    regards

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Speaking another language as well as English helps a lot, but I can vouch from experience your average European will probably speak better English than you! Especially in Scandinavian countries. (Damn! Thats embarrassing, though my French and German is getting better, its often hard to practice their language, when they have just cornered a native English speaker to practice their English on)
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    35mm
    I think you have to be much more specific to get good answers. Budget? You say "road trip", planning to do Europe by car? Europe contains just about everything, from snow in midnight sun in the north to terribly hot desert climate in the south, or the warm mediteranian sea all on the same day. Train could also be a civilized way of getting around in a speed not to fast for photography.

Scenic places. Do not miss Norwegian fjords.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin