Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,901   Online: 1039

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Fly into Cancun, bribe the airport ticket agent to grant you access under a Mexican psuedonym and your in.

Piece of cake!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    From what I understand, you can get to Cuba from Canada or Mexico if your point of origin is the US. I would love to go to Cuba but I'll pass until it's legal - if caught, I'd face loss of my job, and prosecution and hefty fines.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although I live in Japan, and have never been to Cuba, I too would go with Cuba. I agree with the others that it's probably going to change quite a bit in the future. Japan will continue to be the concrete jungle it is (yes, there are oases of beauty, but not many). September is still typhoon season and it will be incredibly hot and humid.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Go to Cuba before hordes of Americans come and flood it with advertising billboards, McDonalds and fat loud tourists shouting at the locals.

Which is a slightly sharper way of agreeing with what an earlier poster said -- Cuba is likely to change a lot over the next 5 years. Japan is...well, Japan. Great, and fascinating but not Cuba.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would go to Japan. In the USA they seem to think Cuba is so exotic because they don't go there... but everybody else goes there. In eastern Canada it's a very popular spot and I know people who have been half a dozen times in the last few years.

I just looked up a flight... you can fly Toronto to Havana and stay for 7 days. Flight, pickup at the airport and hotel. It was under $400. I guess that's why everyone goes there.

I plan to go myself.... I'm just waiting for my next batch of test cameras from Sony and I'm out the door. To me Japan would be more exotic.... but too costly if I'm just testing cameras.

-Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd go with Cuba. I know Steve personally and he's a great guy. A bit intense at times but a great guy. I also have a thing for Latin America sites. I've visited Mexico several times and how knows maybe retire somewhere south.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    35mm
    I say you can always go to Japan, and it will be Japan. Cuba OTO may change dramatically, or your ability to visit it may be even further curtailed by the government. (Don't get me started on the "land of the free", except, unless, but...).

Or Cuba may become suddenly "open" to the US. Given our close proximity it won't take long for us to wreck it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd go to Japan. I find it's rich history and such to be very interesting. I don't see what fascinates people about Cuba, I think that a lot of the excitement over it is that we aren't allowed to go. Going to Cuba seems almost exploitive to me. I do appreciate it's historical significance but it's kinda of like "hey! there's a place where everyone is poor and it's like it's 1952 because of an oppressive quasi-monarchal government is in place. Let's go take pictures of them." Buy Steve McCurry's excellent book on the subject and read it on your flight to Japan.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    JB, "land of the free" how could I forget.
    -rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    or your ability to visit it may be even further curtailed by the government. (Don't get me started on the "land of the free", except, unless, but...).

Or Cuba may become suddenly "open" to the US. Given our close proximity it won't take long for us to wreck it.
    I have queried this before but are Americans really banned from visiting Cuba or are you just persuaded not to?

Steve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin