Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,592   Online: 954

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am seriously thinking of going as well as one of my students.

We have sent several messages to Steve and he has been very responsive and forth coming.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I have queried this before but are Americans really banned from visiting Cuba or are you just persuaded not to?

Steve.
    Steve,
    The US government could not care less if you want to visit the island as long as you do not spend more than $100 a day.
    And this is for everybody entertaining the idea of a trip to Cuba. If you think you know anything about Cuba just spending a week in La Habana, you are misguided. It's like a UK citizen visiting Bronx, NY and picturing the rest of US like it.
    I know of two cases (few years back). US citizens spending some time in jail and paying five figures fines for being "smart" ignoring treasury department regulations, one of them from California and of course, both wealthy guys. I doubt they will go after a broke student.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    I know of two cases (few years back). US citizens spending some time in jail and paying five figures fines for being "smart" ignoring treasury department regulations, one of them from California and of course, both wealthy guys.
    Are these treasury regulations actually laws then or just guidance?

Also I find it difficult to understand how you can break the law of one country whilst you are in a different country in this respect. It seems very strange to me.

And how would the treasury know how much you spent there if you only took cash?

If my country tried to restrict my freedom to visit another country I think it would make me more determined to go!

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    It's like a UK citizen visiting Bronx, NY and picturing the rest of US like it.
    Conversely in the UK, we tend to think that Americans only think of London when England is mentioned.

(I know that's a gross generalisation and doesn't apply to the intelligent people here!).

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was once advised that if I went to Cuba and subsequently wanted to visit the US that it would be a good idea to replace my passport before traveling to the US. Mind you this was over 15 years ago.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think further discussion of Cuba specific travel restrictions should be pursued in a separate thread, we're veering this one OT.

I started a Cuba specific travel thread here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum49/8...ml#post1141232
    Last edited by JBrunner; 02-19-2011 at 10:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for you input, and thanks Jason for trying to steer this back on track. Still looking for that elusive APUG member who has been to Cuba in the last twenty-four months to comment.

Here's the original workshop posting for those who have raised travel concerns:http://www.apug.org/forums/forum162/...ographers.html
    If this trip is my choice, I still have due diligence to do.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by TimVermont View Post
    Thanks everyone for you input, and thanks Jason for trying to steer this back on track. Still looking for that elusive APUG member who has been to Cuba in the last twenty-four months to comment.

Here's the original workshop posting for those who have raised travel concerns:http://www.apug.org/forums/forum162/...ographers.html
    If this trip is my choice, I still have due diligence to do.
    I bet Anchell would be pleased to provide some contacts.

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was last in Cuba in spring 2009

It is changing rapidly. When I first visited in 2001 the majority of the cars on the streets of Havana were 1950's and their condition was good. There are many more cars now and most of them are modern. Of the dozen best photographs i took in 2001 not one could be recreated in 2009 as a function of demolition and restoration. There comes a point that between atmospherically derelict and downright wrecked where thing tend to lose their charm. Standards of hotel accommodation and food have improved- and whilst I wouldn't even now go to Cuba for luxury its not today a place where its really difficult to get palatable food. There are a lot more signs of commerce and private enterprise, partly to meet the opportunity presented by the hordes visiting the "all inclusives" on both coasts and who get tempted onto coach trips to see the "real Cuba" for a few hours. Havana is outside the restored tourist core a pretty dirty city now- clearly the money's running out and things like refuse collection don't happen as aften as they should and in places its unattractively smelly wich wasn't the case in my firsy few visits. All that's why the state is turning a blind eye to Paradores, to private tourism ventures and so on- the fact is they've had to subcontract the responsibility back to the people. In places like Trinidad there are now street markets where just a few years ago there was nothing to sell - and few people who could buy anything.

I guess if I were from the USA ( and I'm not) I'd be thinking about how to get valid insurance cover when I'm not supposed to be there; things like repatriation in the event of sickness might be quite interesting for example; reassurance that they won't stamp my passport, and I'd also be thinking about the fact that there may be lots of doctors but they don't have ready access to a lot of the things ( like antibiotics) to cure relatively simple things quickly. If I went I'd be going on the understanding that the inland scenery isn't great and the coastal scenery isn't anything you can't get anywhere else. But the towns, cities, villages, people--well that's different. For people on a short trip with others these risk and inconveniences might well be acceptable. I've been alone without any spanish and coped.

Photographically, IMO Cuba is not as good as it was, but its still very interesting. The rate of observed change tells me that its isn't something that can be left for the next ten years unless you want an entirely different type of experience.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin