Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,544   Posts: 1,544,415   Online: 1073

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cuba or Japan in The Autumn. Which Would You Choose?

If you could choose between the Project Basho trip to Japan in September, or the Steve Anchell workshop trip to Havana in November, which would you choose and why? Particularly interested in hearing from APUGers who've been to Cuba within the last twenty-four months. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having been only to Japan, I can say that it would be beautiful in the autumn. Then again, how often do you get a chance to go to Cuba?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It all depends on exactly which part of each country. Having grown up in Japan for earlier part of my life, I can tell you the difference in climate, culture, and scenary is quite a bit. If you compare the south most and north most part, the dialect is such that they are pretty much different language. (especially if you talk to older generations)

I've never been to Cuba so I don't know about that one.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you go to Cuba you won't need as much warm clothing so you can pack more film.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would choose Cuba because it is likely to change quite a bit in the future compared with Japan.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I would choose Cuba because it is likely to change quite a bit in the future compared with Japan.

Steve.
    In the future?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cuba with Steve Anchell would be very interesting, I'm very tempted.

Japan, the East has no allure

Great medical training & services in Cuba and that's first hand from being treated by a Cuban doctor. They may not have the finances available in the US etc but they put their skills & training to better use. In my case teh doctor had learnt Acupuncture in China, 10 minutes treatment has alleviated years of suffering - except for the doctor who has to work abroad for months on end to support his family in Cuba.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Totally go with Cuba. A buddy of mine spent two weeks there recently with his MF system and has some incredible images because most of the infrastructure is stuck in the 1950's (when the U.S. put on the blockade). This being said, the people and culture is truly one of a kind right now and given that tourism is only going to increase there in the next years--Obama has already made gestures about lowering the ban on U.S. good--it could be just a matter of time before it turns into another Jamaica (watch the documentary Life & Debt).

That's my $.02

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tim,
    I do not know much about Japan but I know a little about Cuba. If you are seriously considering a visit to the island just sent me a PM. I'm located in the Boston area and is not a problem for me to get close to Vermont and share a cup of coffee.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Go for Cuba. You can pick up Spanish language skills faster than you can learn Japanese.You show Vermont as a location. Aren't there some special hoops you have to jump through to go to Cuba on a US Passport? That would be the only difficult thing I could think of.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin