Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,698   Posts: 1,549,104   Online: 1125

Shooter
    Multi Format

Goin' to Phoenix...

Hello,

I'm going to Phoenix, AZ in a week with the family and two scale-focus Voigtlander 6x9's. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on unique (non-touristy) sites or parks.

Also would like to check out a camera store or two, preferably some place with used analog equipment. I've found the Collectible Camera place (Ritz) and Wilson Camera, any others?

Thanks,
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hard to find a non-touristy site this time of year, what with all the Midwesterners flocking here But since the best times are sunrise and sunset, there will be fewer at those times. Suggest you check out the Superstition Mountains- there's a county park, lots of trails and scenery there, can make you feel like you're away from the crowds. Out that way is the Goldfield Ghost Town, touristy at times, but if you get there early, there are few around. Also touristy, but you can find isolation for a few moments, would be the Desert Botanical Gardens, nearby Papago Park. South Mountain Park is very large, lots of trails, rock art, etc. If you're willing to drive about 2 hours, the Vulture Mine in Wickenburg is a great place, lots to see, so doesn't feel crowded. Lots of other places around, but this is "the season"- arrive early or stay for sunset to avoid the crowds.

Save some time for a great exhibit at the Phoenix Art Museum of Brett Weston and Sonya Noskowiak (museum closed Mon&Tue). Photomark, near 22nd and McDowell is probably largest camera store in town (they have used analog stuff, but pricing not that great); there's also Tempe Camera. If you need film processed, ColorMark, next to Photomark does good work.

Have a good time!

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We had a good time. We did make it out to South Mountain, North Mountain, and Goldfield, which was actually a lot of fun. I didn't have a lot of time to shoot, but it was a family trip anyway, so that's OK. Thanks for the tips.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin