Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,264   Online: 1028
      
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 74

Thread: Travel to Cuba

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I don't get it. What threat is Cuba to the USA? What possible reason is there for restricting travel. And what right does the US government have in telling its citizens where they can travel to?


    Steve.
    The Cuban government (still same brothers) is the thread. Remember, the only country to ever had "hot" nuclear weapons pointing to US citizens (yes, not even the CCCP).
    Also, I agree it's hard for anybody to understand why a government should restrict where you can go. Probably is the same explanation for the Identity Cards in UK. Try telling Americans they need an identity card to be in the streets. Good luck with that.
    Last edited by onnect17; 02-19-2011 at 06:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  2. #12
    jeroldharter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,958
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I don't get it. What threat is Cuba to the USA? What possible reason is there for restricting travel. And what right does the US government have in telling its citizens where they can travel to?


    Steve.
    Generally speaking, dictatorships based on a political philosophy that enslaves its people would fall under the category of "threat." Also, countries with a history of collaborating with ones enemies with the possibility of nuclear war is considered a "threat."

    I would prefer that our government not restrict our travel. But we are such an entitled bunch now that we expect a government helicopter to evacuate us from any problem and a government health plan to treat our traveler's diarrhea that I am willing to accept the restriction.

    Haven't heard anyone comment on Cuba's "travel restrictions" for its citizens. Last I heard, Cuba was cracking down on styrofoam that might be used for rafts.
    Jerold Harter MD

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    67
    Jerold,
    As a doctor you pain will be bigger. Forgive me.
    Check this --> http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=54232

    I wonder what could happen if Steve Anchel request to visit this hospital.

  4. #14
    JBrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    6,778
    Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    The Cuban government (still same brothers) is the thread. Remember, the only country to ever had "hot" nuclear weapons pointing to US citizens (yes, not even the CCCP).
    Also, I agree it's hard for anybody to understand why a government should restrict where you can go. Probably is the same explanation for the Identity Cards in UK. Try telling Americans they need an identity card to be in the streets. Good luck with that.
    I'm fairly certain that Russia and China have ICBM's ready to fly in our direction within moments. "hot" is a semantic. I don't doubt your experience or insight though. The Repub/Dem thing makes sense.

  5. #15
    JBrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    6,778
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Generally speaking, dictatorships based on a political philosophy that enslaves its people would fall under the category of "threat." Also, countries with a history of collaborating with ones enemies with the possibility of nuclear war is considered a "threat."

    I would prefer that our government not restrict our travel. But we are such an entitled bunch now that we expect a government helicopter to evacuate us from any problem and a government health plan to treat our traveler's diarrhea that I am willing to accept the restriction.

    Haven't heard anyone comment on Cuba's "travel restrictions" for its citizens. Last I heard, Cuba was cracking down on styrofoam that might be used for rafts.
    Don't mix up my irritation at having my rights restricted as some kind of endorsement of the Cuban political system. As I pointed out I think it is ironic that in respect to visiting Cuba the American government acts like a totalitarian regime to it's citizenry. Also, I don't think liability is an overwhelming reason. There are a lot of way more off the map places I can visit and get into trouble without having to blow the treasury department to get permission. What I don't understand is the mentality that following a policy that has clearly not worked is some kind of sound reasoning. Bombing Cuba with blue jeans and resort deals, that will work. Actually I see it as inevitable.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 02-19-2011 at 09:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  6. #16
    Mustafa Umut Sarac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    İstanbul - Türkiye
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,411
    Images
    104
    If Cuba is able to be a treat to USA for past 50 years and if some Americans are thinking that they will pay for this , I think this is tragicomic. I think USA is willing to eat small easy to digest pies . They made a huge propaganda that telling people IRAQ have a big army , tank fleets , 2 millions soldiers and able to hit USA with chemical rockets and have nuclear bomb.
    In 2 hours , IRAQ army crashed. Yes it is easy to attack propaganda poor nations. If you have enough army and if Russia have weapons , chemicals rockets , army , tanks againts to USA , try to attack to Russia and see whats happening.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    If Cuba is able to be a treat to USA for past 50 years and if some Americans are thinking that they will pay for this , I think this is tragicomic. I think USA is willing to eat small easy to digest pies . They made a huge propaganda that telling people IRAQ have a big army , tank fleets , 2 millions soldiers and able to hit USA with chemical rockets and have nuclear bomb.
    In 2 hours , IRAQ army crashed. Yes it is easy to attack propaganda poor nations. If you have enough army and if Russia have weapons , chemicals rockets , army , tanks againts to USA , try to attack to Russia and see whats happening.
    You should know the answer as a country member of NATO. Turkey and the bases will be attacked by the Russians for sure. The part I can't understand is why the US is selling arms to Turkey, or Turkey being a member of NATO or even the USA helping Turkey to be part of the EU. After all we have nothing in common.

  8. #18
    JBrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    6,778
    Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    You should know the answer as a country member of NATO. Turkey and the bases will be attacked by the Russians for sure. The part I can't understand is why the US is selling arms to Turkey, or Turkey being a member of NATO or even the USA helping Turkey to be part of the EU. After all we have nothing in common.
    Turkey joined NATO to mitigate pressure upon it from the USSR. (That's the cliff note, of course.)

  9. #19
    jeroldharter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,958
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    Jerold,
    As a doctor you pain will be bigger. Forgive me.
    Check this --> http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=54232
    ...
    The story is just another example of the successes of communism.

    The same government that caused the problem in the first place is proposing that the solution is more of itself. That is starting to sound like our country.
    Jerold Harter MD

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I'm fairly certain that Russia and China have ICBM's ready to fly in our direction within moments. "hot" is a semantic. I don't doubt your experience or insight though. The Repub/Dem thing makes sense.
    An issue of Military History Magazine in last year has a very interesting article (with excellent photos too) with new info about the October Crisis. One of the surprises was the existence (unknown to the US) of tactical warheads pointing directly to Guantanamo. Also I learned one of the groups was located 20 miles from where I grow up.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin