Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,652   Online: 793

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Travel to Cuba

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    If Cuba is able to be a treat to USA for past 50 years and if some Americans are thinking that they will pay for this , I think this is tragicomic. I think USA is willing to eat small easy to digest pies . They made a huge propaganda that telling people IRAQ have a big army , tank fleets , 2 millions soldiers and able to hit USA with chemical rockets and have nuclear bomb.
    In 2 hours , IRAQ army crashed. Yes it is easy to attack propaganda poor nations. If you have enough army and if Russia have weapons , chemicals rockets , army , tanks againts to USA , try to attack to Russia and see whats happening.
    Iraq did have a big army and tank fleets. We crushed them so quickly because our soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines are better trained and equipped. George Bush lied to us about Iraq's chemical weapons program, but I don't recall him telling us that Iraq's rockets could hit us nor that he had a nuclear - or as he pronounced it, nu-cu-lar- bomb.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I don't get it. What threat is Cuba to the USA? What possible reason is there for restricting travel. And what right does the US government have in telling its citizens where they can travel to?

Steve.
    Cuban cigars are a hot commodity for the American tourist visiting Canada.
    Apparently they are illegal in the US.

Cuba has become a popular vacation destination for Canadians. Many visit a second time as they enjoyed the hospitality of the country very much.

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ultimately, if we were really interested in changing Cuba, being in such close proximity, we'd declare it open for business, and obliterate it with American style consumerism

Thats exactly right and sadly Cuba would become another Caymans/Bahamas/Turks and Caicos in a couple of decades. Right now Cuba is different; as a photographer it has a different flavour from anywhere else in the world. The moment there is a rapprochement with the USA that difference will erode fast. The first time I see a Dunkin' Donuts along the Malecon, the place will be wrecked for me. I've met a number of American tourists in Cuba having displayed the ingenuity required to get there indirectly. It is already past its best for the photographer, though still worth a visit. Of the 12 best photographs I took on my first visit in 2001 only three or four remained substantially unchamged when I next returned in 2005.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Henderson View Post
    Thats exactly right and sadly Cuba would become another Caymans/Bahamas/Turks and Caicos in a couple of decades. Right now Cuba is different; as a photographer it has a different flavour from anywhere else in the world. ...
    I don't think that dictatorship, oppression, and abject poverty should be preserved elsewhere so that we might have a good travel destination for photography.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    The Cuban government (still same brothers) is the thread. Remember, the only country to ever had "hot" nuclear weapons pointing to US citizens (yes, not even the CCCP)...
    Actually Cuba never had nuclear weapons. Those in Cuba were owned, controlled and operated by the Soviet Union. I doubt very much that any Cuban leader/official or Cuban military officer could have ordered a missle launch. And the missles were there as a direct response to the USA installing nuclear weapons along the borders of the Soviet Union in Turkey.

I blame Florida (a safe target) for the travel ban to Cuba -- the Cuban business community there has a very strong voice. The embargo is something they very much support and demand.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ironically, I am just in the midst of planning a photo vacation to Cuba. (more emphasis on "vacation" in this case). I am reading this thread with interest.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My son has a friend who works for an international relieve organisation that provides aid to wherever disasters strike the planet. This young woman has seen many horrific scenes world wide.
    She noticed that Cuba is present with medical aid at almost every disaster, while some of the largest countries in the world like China and the US are often not seen.

Hats off to this little country!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Actually Cuba never had nuclear weapons. Those in Cuba were owned, controlled and operated by the Soviet Union. I doubt very much that any Cuban leader/official or Cuban military officer could have ordered a missle launch. And the missles were there as a direct response to the USA installing nuclear weapons along the borders of the Soviet Union in Turkey.

I blame Florida (a safe target) for the travel ban to Cuba -- the Cuban business community there has a very strong voice. The embargo is something they very much support and demand.
    AFAIK was Castro who authorized the Russians to bring the nukes. In fact, after Kennedy abandoned the CIA operation in progress at Bay of Pigs, Castro knew it was a matter of time before Kennedy pay the price.
    Remember "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" ? Let's call the Russians.
    Well, when the first Russian military officers landed in La Habana, they thought Castro just wanted to buy some arms.
    Then they seized the opportunity and offer to install some nukes. Of course Castro said yes. By then Kennedy was getting heat from the Pentagon and step up surveillance.
    Castro also was furious when he realized he was just used by the Russians (In some point he told Nikita he would not mind if Cuba was "erased" as a consequence of lunching any missile from Cuban soil)
    Fortunately other attempts of using nuclear energy in Cuba were never completed. We all know about Pakistan, North Korea and Iran. Check Wikipedia for "Juragua Nuclear Power Plant" here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juragua...ar_Power_Plant

Another interesting fact. Castro's son (Fidelito) was sent to the Soviet Union to study Nuclear Engineering and for years was the chief of the project. Ironic, right?

This site in central Cuba could be another point of interest for Steve to visit during the workshop (3 hours from La Habana)
    Last edited by onnect17; 02-21-2011 at 08:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm thinking of organizing a relief effort to help the poverty-stricken peoples of an isolated, hardscrabble region. These proud men and women have lived a unique way of life for many decades, even while being ignored by their own government. They took economic hardship and political disenfranchisement, and used their own unique culture (especially noteworthy is their music) to overcome adversity.

I'm speaking, of course, of New Orleans. Who's with me?
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    I'm thinking of organizing a relief effort to help the poverty-stricken peoples of an isolated, hardscrabble region. These proud men and women have lived a unique way of life for many decades, even while being ignored by their own government. They took economic hardship and political disenfranchisement, and used their own unique culture (especially noteworthy is their music) to overcome adversity.

I'm speaking, of course, of New Orleans. Who's with me?
    Did you ever visit New Orleans?

They are welcoming drivers for the next hurricane season.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buses-katrina[1].jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	31957

Looting experience could also help.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	looter.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	31958

They want to keep everything the same way, even re-elected the same major.

Florida handles hurricanes every year, not big deal, not blaming.
    Even the Cuban government evacuates the population using horses if needed.
    Last edited by onnect17; 02-21-2011 at 10:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin