Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,666   Posts: 1,623,964   Online: 751

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Travel to Cuba

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A couple of links to books with photos of Cuba pre-revolution. Forgive me if it seems better than nowadays

http://www.amazon.com/Was-Cuba-Treas...ref=pd_sim_b_4

and

http://www.amazon.com/Havana-Before-...58573&sr=1-9#_

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I don't think that dictatorship, oppression, and abject poverty should be preserved elsewhere so that we might have a good travel destination for photography.
    Exactly, thats why it needs to be expensive resorts and lots of strip malls. Get those poor people into the kitchen and out of sight. Ahh...Paradise.**
    That's just, like, my opinion, man...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well said, Mr. Brunner.

What makes the difference in Cuba is the people. You'll find interesting cities, history, nice beaches etc. in lots of places, but nowhere in the world are there people like Cuba has.

When I went on a family trip, my sister and I packed an extra suitcase and filled it with school supplies -- pencils, markers, paper, etc. We also packed lots of makeup etc. for the maid who worked on our room.
    We made a special trip into the town (Varadero) and found an elementary school and asked if we could drop off some supplies. They were really nice, and gave us a tour of the school...I made some of my 4x5 portraits on that tour (my gallery has a shot of twin boys posing before an image of Che) and overall it was a great way to talk to real people, without politics.

I also made a point of getting addresses of people I photographed, and offered to send them prints. I got a letter back from the school principal, and the warmth and gratitude of that letter is one of my fondest memories of that time.

Every place has politics, but it's up to you as a photographer to make your own images. Cuba offers something unique...at least it still does, anyway.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Varadero 1969.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan502.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	31971

Shooter
    Large Format
    [QUOTE=onnect17;1142543Another interesting fact. Castro's son (Fidelito) was sent to the Soviet Union to study Nuclear Engineering and for years was the chief of the project. Ironic, right?[/QUOTE]

Of course he was 13 at the time
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Of course he was 13 at the time
    Fidel Castro Diaz-Balart.
    He was 33 when the construction of the first reactor at Juragua began in 1983.
    Most of his family on the mother side end up in Miami and two cousins -one was and one is- serving in the US Congress, BTW.
    Check http://mariodiazbalart.house.gov
    Last edited by onnect17; 02-22-2011 at 07:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    By "the project" I thought you were refering to the subject of the rest of your post #28
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm afraid that I've arrived late to this party. Can somebody fill me in...is there a trip to Cuba being organized by an APUG member?

If so, kindly contact me because I'm very interested.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Well said, Mr. Brunner.

Every place has politics, but it's up to you as a photographer to make your own images. Cuba offers something unique...at least it still does, anyway.[/QUOTE]

Excellent posts by Brunner and Corneau....many thanks.

I've been seriously planning a Cuba trip but the cost and paperwork are a bit off-putting for a US citizen. Most of the "humanitarian tours" are charging about $4000-$5000 for a week with airfare, hotel and some siteseeing.

Are there any less expensive alternatives for US citizens?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin