Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,251   Online: 865

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Travel to Cuba

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Well said, Mr. Brunner.

Every place has politics, but it's up to you as a photographer to make your own images. Cuba offers something unique...at least it still does, anyway.[/QUOTE]

Excellent posts by Brunner and Corneau....many thanks.

I've been seriously planning a Cuba trip but the cost and paperwork are a bit off-putting for a US citizen. Most of the "humanitarian tours" are charging about $4000-$5000 for a week with airfare, hotel and some siteseeing.

Are there any less expensive alternatives for US citizens?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Yes. Go to Cancun and take a boat over to Cuba. The Cuban Immigration people do not stamp your passport so you should be ok. Of course once you publish your pics the right wingers will be all over you.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus S View Post
    My son has a friend who works for an international relieve organisation that provides aid to wherever disasters strike the planet. This young woman has seen many horrific scenes world wide.
    She noticed that Cuba is present with medical aid at almost every disaster, while some of the largest countries in the world like China and the US are often not seen.

Hats off to this little country!
    I was in Cuba when 9/11 took place. My company had very good relations with Fidel and as it happened I had about 20 Americans with me. Naturally my guests were horrified as we all were. Fidel put us up in his mountain villa so that we could all see the CNN coverage. What has never been reported by the US media is that is was Cuba that was the first to offer aid to the Americans in NY. Fidel phoned personally to offer his heart felt sympathies and anything else that might help. Naturally he was rebuffed. It would have been too much to swallow for the then current administration.

I have spent a lot of time in Cuba and love both the country and it's people. Does Cuba need reforms? Yes. Do they need to be Americanized? Absolutely not. They will evolve in their own time and in their own way. It would be best if outside nations would just stay out of it. But alas the lure of profits will ultimately win I am afraid.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Many Cuban-Americans seem to come to Toronto for a holiday but seem to get waylaid off on another Cuba bound charter tour. Oddly they get lost at the Cuban airport and we don't see them again till return flight
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    ... Fidel put us up in his mountain villa so that we could all see the CNN coverage...
    The regular Cubans are not allowed to watch any TV from outside. In fact, few years ago the government passed a resolution that could get you in jail for just having your antenna pointing northbound. Some people risk it trying to "steal" some signal broadcasted to nearby hotels in La Habana and the "antenna makers" could spend 2 years in prison.
    Can’t imagine what kind of help Castro was offering. Never saw any rescue team in Cuba, not even a dog trained. Once in a while a structure falls apart in Habana Vieja, common after few days of rain. The Civil Defense, even with limited resources, works efficiently and proactive during hurricane season so not need for it.
    If Fidel was so concerned with bombings and 9/11 he will not have all the hundreds of students from the middle east in universities located in the interior of the country (many listed in the most wanted list in Israel)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post

Yes. Go to Cancun and take a boat over to Cuba. The Cuban Immigration people do not stamp your passport so you should be ok. Of course once you publish your pics the right wingers will be all over you.
    OK, I fly from NYC to Cancun, then take a boat to Cuba, and you're saying that I don't need a "license" to get in?
    Do I need to make hotel reservations after I arrive in Cancun? I can't make reservations for a Cuban hotel from the USA unless I go to one of the $4000-$5000 a week USA tour operators. They have told me that their costs are so high because they must work through a Cuban tour operator and even they can't make hotel reservations directly.
    Oh, I wish I had a Canadian passport!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    you can make reservations through the Canadian arm of the Cuban tourism board. They are located in Toronto. let me be clear, you are not going legally as defined by your government if you go this way. however 1000's of American's do just that every year.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wherever path you use to reach Cuba remember not to lie during re-entry when asked by the Customs Agent if visited a third country.

Also, I found some tips in this article (seem written by a Canadian) --> http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...s.In.Cuba.html
    Last edited by onnect17; 02-25-2011 at 07:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Heads of western governments are allowed to lie without any repercussions whatsoever.
    The US media has lost its watchdog status and sadly, many also lost their journalistic integrity.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Of course, here in California we came up with a much better solution -- we turned the patients out onto the streets to fend for themselves. Capitalism (Social Darwinism) at its best.

Is it time for this to head to the Lounge yet? LOL!
    I assume you are talking about de-institutionalization of psychiatric patients involuntarily committed to state hospitals? That had nothing to do with capitalism.

It was more of a civil rights issue. It was hugely successful for the California urban camping industry as it generated huge volumes of homeless, untreated schizophrenics. As a rule, they mingle well with homeless drug addicts and alcoholics. Take an evening stroll through city parks in any of the major California cities to get your fill of "civil rights" in action.
    Jerold Harter MD

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin