Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,465   Posts: 1,570,674   Online: 874

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Travel to Cuba

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Whenever I hear Americans talk about Cuba, I'm always reminded that law and morality aren't synonyms.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Whenever I hear Americans talk about Cuba, I'm always reminded that law and morality aren't synonyms.
    Most should recognize the distinction anyway.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I assume you are talking about de-institutionalization of psychiatric patients involuntarily committed to state hospitals? That had nothing to do with capitalism.

It was more of a civil rights issue. It was hugely successful for the California urban camping industry as it generated huge volumes of homeless, untreated schizophrenics. As a rule, they mingle well with homeless drug addicts and alcoholics. Take an evening stroll through city parks in any of the major California cities to get your fill of "civil rights" in action.
    As they say..."damned if you do and damned if you don't".
    I can tell you how to save a few souls in California. Get in Hollywood and start checking for drugs and needles. If you're a "star" you are more likely to die for overdose or AIDS that in a car accident.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I assume you are talking about de-institutionalization of psychiatric patients involuntarily committed to state hospitals? That had nothing to do with capitalism.

It was more of a civil rights issue...
    Thank you, upon further research I see you are correct, but I also see the situation is a bit more complicated than is possible to cover here. (such as insufficient funding for out-patient care, and now the problem of tossing the mentally ill in jail which are not funded or trained in helping the mentally ill).
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't understand the logic here, if the U.S Government frowns on it's citizens going to Cuba who only threatened the U.S with attack, why do they let them go to Japan ?
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It can't be Communism - China bankrolls the U.S. now!
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    35mm
    Steve Smith, shame upon thee.

You ask what threat Cuba is to the stalwart USA? This is the threat: Cuba has the best education system in Latin America and its health care system is also the best and most accessible. (They export doctors to other Latin American countries.)

Those, you rather naive person, are real threats to both US hegemony and the hyperbolic US superiority assumption. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder what the situation would be now if, at the time of the Cuban revolution, Cuba had not seized (without compensation) assets owned by citizens of the USA, and USA corporations?

Now if this doesn't send this thread to the Soap Box, I don't know what will.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I wonder what the situation would be now if, at the time of the Cuban revolution, Cuba had not seized (without compensation) assets owned by citizens of the USA, and USA corporations?

Now if this doesn't send this thread to the Soap Box, I don't know what will.
    Well that depends on many things. For example, how many folks confuse facts with opinions, and if they do offer opinions how mature they are in doing so. Also it is fun to examine minds that divide any situation into inflexible concepts of extreme right and wrong. So Abrahamic. I don't get enough of it here in utah.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 02-28-2011 at 12:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Best case scenerio -- like Costa Rica
    Most probable -- like Puerto Rico
    Worse case -- like Iraq or Iran while their dictators were still our "friends"
    -- or perhaps like Haiti.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin