Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,945   Posts: 1,557,727   Online: 1140

Shooter
    Medium Format

Going to Puerto Rico

Any tips on where to shoot or anything else? Taking a Hasselblad, tripod, T-Max 400 and a little Velvia, unless advised otherwise. Would take a 4x5, but (a) don't know if it's worth the hassle, (b) don't think the wife will be patient enough for me to use it and (c) don't think I'm willing to wake up early enough during holiday to circumvent (b). Thanks in advance for any tips. Shooting B&W, maybe some Velvia.

All the best,
    Leo
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A quick list:
    Old San Juan
    Ponce
    San German
    the Camuy Caves
    The El Yunque rain forest
    The list goes on, depending on what kind of shots you like to make. PM me and I can give you more details. I live in Naguabo, on the south side of the rain forest.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't know what your agenda is for your trip, but I would wholeheartedly recommend spending some time in Old San Juan. The Hassy would be fine for shooting around the neighborhood, with the caveat that the streets are quite narrow and you will want to have at least the 50mm, if not a super-wide. The sun is quite bright and intense - I would advise leaving the Tmax 400 at home unless you want to do some night shooting. I posted a few of my recent shots from old San Juan here in the APUG gallery (and more on my blog) - they were shot with Kodak Ektar 100 (and an accidental roll of Portra 400 - this is how I know it's too fast - I was getting f16 @ 1/500th or 1/1000th of a second, making it hard to control depth of field. The San Cristobal and El Morro forts are great subjects, but I don't think they allow tripods. Check on the Park Service website (the forts are National Parks) to verify this.

While San Juan is generally as safe as any other big city, do be careful. The Hassy could make you a target for thieves. Especially if you are going to shoot at night, have someone to look out for you while you have your head buried in the waist-level finder.

Shooter
    35mm
    Honestly, forget Old San Juan. Yeah it's beautiful, see it. But it's also been photographed to death and all your shots will have throngs of North American tourists in them. Rent a car or take a taxi anywhere outside of Old San Juan, like literally just cross over one of the bridges (it's an island) and dive into the maze of streets. All the neighborhoods i passed through were bursting with vibrant street culture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Spent 2 years in Puerto Rico, the only time I spent in San Juan is the day I got there and the day I left.The Island is beautiful,much to see and experience.Beaches are very nice,swimming,snorkeling,warm water all year round,some excellent surfing and the places eddym mention are great.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the tips everyone.

Eddym, I sent a PM.

Flying Camera, sounds like good advice on the film speed. I'll bring a couple 100s, but I may be able to work around it with NDs. Trying to shoot as much of 1 film as possible.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Writing to you beachside at La Concha in San Juan on our last day of vacation. Many thanks to all of you, especially eddym, for the great advice. Flying Camera, you were right about the 100 film. I listened to you and happily had some Acros with me which turned out to be perfect. For anyone planning a trip that enjoys landscapes, here's some tips.

In fajardo ask a local how to get to la playa escondida behind seven seas beach. You take a little trail at the end of the main beach, hike about half a mile and pass two of the nicest secluded beaches I've ever seen. Stop at playa colorada, the first one, and you've got an awesome early shot of the light house from afar with foreground rocks and crashing waves.
    In Yunca rainforest, forget about it, the tropical forest photo ops are all over. Low light, so bring a light tripod.
    Driving along any portion of the ruta panoramica you'll find abundant rolling hill/mountain/valley/puffy cloud shots.
    In rincon, get stoked on some gnarley surfer shots and sunsets with a medalla in one hand and your girl in the other.
    Going to Old San Juan shortly, so we'll see what that brings. All in all, es un pais meravilloso. Muchas gracias a todos y buen provecho.
    Leo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thats great you are enjoying your self there Leo.

Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin