Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,635   Online: 924

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Film Availability in Thailand

Chiang Mai specifically. Does anyone know if it's possible to buy 120 film there -- black and white preferably.

I'm currently in Myanmar, where internet connection is fair (at best) and pages take forever to load, if they do at all, so doing an online search is not really feasible. I'm a week into a five-week trip through Myanmar, Thailand, and Bhutan, and I've already burned through a third of my 120 film stash. I'm off to Bagan tomorrow, and I think I could easily blow the rest of it during my five days in that area. But that'll leave me screwed for Bhutan (literally, a once-in-a-lifetime trip, it's so expensive to go there), photographically speaking. I suppose I could get film mailed to my hotel in Chiang Mai in a worse-case scenario, but I would prefer to buy locally, if I can.

Anyway, if you know of any sources of film in Chiang Mai, please let me know ASAP (although it may be a few days before I get to use the internet again).

Cheers.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    35mm
    I have no idea about film availability in Chiang Mai, but If you stay there for a while, you could order from "http://procolorlab.com/film.html".

However, Film are much more available in Bangkok, especially at "Plub Pla Chai, Siam Square, Silom or Lad Prao" areas.

Pat

Just got some idea that you should find some films from area around Chiang Mai University.
    Last edited by cnoicha; 02-23-2011 at 09:45 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Update more info.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Searched hi and low for 120 film in chiang mai last year. No way. Best I found was consumer 35 mm color. Couldn't even find a roll of 35mm black and white. Went to both the "pro shops" in town and a few other places. Bring it with you, my friend. Enjoy the temples.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just read again and see you did bring it with you, but are running out. Have it shipped to the hotel.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cnoicha View Post
    I have no idea about film availability in Chiang Mai, but If you stay there for a while, you could order from "http://procolorlab.com/film.html".

However, Film are much more available in Bangkok, especially at "Plub Pla Chai, Siam Square, Silom or Lad Prao" areas.

Pat

Just got some idea that you should find some films from area around Chiang Mai University.
    I'd agree that Pro Lab Color may be your best bet - they have images of TMX on their film page, but the title is for E100VS - could be a typo, but you'll need to call to be sure.

0-2691-6041-42 or 0-2691-3649-50

Never visited so can't say if they speak English or not.

If you are heading back to BKK before the next leg (but seems you won't be) Ladprao had some minilabs that had some outrageously cheap prices on film, paper and chemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was in Chiang Mai two years ago. I didn't see any film or photo places near the University, which is also a bit out of the way. I did have luck in the street where the main night market is held. Walking down the hill on the right hand side are a number of malls. One has art & craft shops & the people who do detailed portrait drawings from photos. A bit further down was a tech mall (mobile phone & computer shops) & in there I found a shop / mini lab with a good supply of film. That was 2008 however.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone,

Luckily I'm not shooting as much as I thought I would -- I'm limiting myself to the times around sunrise/sunset for the best light -- but my film supply is still looking pretty meagre. You would think that 75 rolls would have been enough! It looks like I will have to get film sent to my hotel, I'll just have to figure out the best way to do it as internet connection here in Myanmar is spotty at best, and phone calls are extremely expensive.

Cheers.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin