Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,141   Online: 901

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

any suggestions on a "walking around lens" for Beiing?

title says it all, looking for some tips to avoid carrying around lots of heavy equipment that at the end of the day, hasn't been productive.

thanks.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are trying to keep it simple, you can't really go too wrong with an older SLR with a 50mm lens.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ann,

You didn't say what format or what camera. If 35mm what about a zoom in the 28-80mm range?

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i will be taking a variety of focal lengths for various places. For a city that heavy populated i was thinking a prime , maybe 35 or 50. With a zoom option, i have 35-70, 16-35, 24-120. I thought perhaps someone here would have personal experience with that city.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    35 or 50, if you wanna focus on the buildings the 35, the people the 50. No stinkin zoom will let you take pictures into the night like a prime. for 35mm I say 35 if you can only have one lens, 24 and 85 if you can have two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been to Beijing roughly a million times, but you may not shoot like I shoot. I end up overwhelmingly using a normal lens---for me that's 50 mm, although some people really prefer 35. I can see places where a wide would be useful, but less so a long lens; unless you want to shoot skylines with a "stacking" effect, or something, any line of sight that would justify a long lens is usually blocked by a building, a taxi, or somebody selling DVDs. :-)

Get out early in the morning, while the city is just waking up, and walk around the residential neighbourhoods before the crowds really form. In my experience that's the best photographic time in Beijing.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin