Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,273   Online: 1024

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    Perhaps not, but his advice can help guide you in your own direction. Use Steve as a starting point.
    You know, I agree. It was a bit of a personal statement, and I wasn't being objective.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For those who don't know he is a huge pro legalization of mj. He gives talks on it locally, his office is about 15 miles from my house. He's an ok guy but kinda geeky.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hopefully not too off topic but we really enjoyed our visit to Scotland many years ago. Largely did the B&B thing, which was great. We still remember the guide at the tour of Edinburgh castle. Very funny ("During one battle, it was 10 Englishmen for every 1 Scot. We considered that a fair fight.")

I don't know what your travel arrangements are, but there is/was an overnight train from Glasgow to London and from Edinburgh to London. Very useful for gaining a bit of extra daylight time during your visit.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This topic got me curious, so I googled a bit and found that some distilleries prohibit photography (and most electronics) because of the potential for an explosive atmosphere in the facility. It sounds a little screwy to me, but I don't know that much about how distilleries work and maybe they really do face enough alcohol fumes that sparks are a danger.

If that's the concern, they might be open to someone with a non-electronic camera...

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That was my thoughts. Take a leaf shutter and some high speed film. Who needs electronics! This is APUG afterall!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Great tips all. I think the idea of sparking a fire is ludicrous, but if it somehow did, could you imagine the damage to the business?

Looks as though it would be a case by case basis. I will let you all know what Talisker says. I may not be able to photograph, but there are worse things one can't do at a distillery.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    http://www.aboutaberdeen.com/taliske...le_of_skye.php

Read Down a ways, no photos.

May be worth a Skype call to them.

Bad as some churches.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I toured FDRs Little White House in Warm Springs GA and they asked for no flash but take all the photos you like. I did'nt have any fast film so I turned the D70 up to ISO800 and got some OK shots. Got some film shots outside with the N80.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    We visited Talisker in 2006 and have the pictures to prove it! There was no problem at all, then. Oh, and you'll really enjoy their "sample". The most generous sample I've ever had! Had it before the tour, which gave it just enough time to work before they took you to their store. They're not stupid!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Just got an email back. Nothing allowed from Talisker...

Hi Robert

It is true, Diageo do not allow photography in any of our distilleries because of the presence of flammable atmospheres. Sorry.

Kind regards

Michael Goodall
    DIAGEO

Sigh!
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin