Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,610   Online: 1312

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Strange. My Westinghouse Flip Flash II does recommend against shooting in flammable atmospheres but that's a flash bulb!

I went to Islay a few years ago and shot tons of Ektrachrome and Kodak 400 speed B&W. I didn't use a flash, brought fast (f/1.2-f/2.8) lenses instead. Took some 300mm f/4L shots of lovely shorebirds as well. Had a fully mechanical Canon FTbN and an electronic AE-1 with me (400 C-41 B&W and E200 respectively). Great place, friendly people, wonderful whisky, delicious food. There were even sunny skies while I was there and I have pictures to prove it! Stayed at the Oystercatcher B&B and managed some shots of some Oystercatchers as well. Made some 12x18" prints from that trip, loved it! Need to scan the rest of them.

Ardbeg distillery by Harry Pulley, on Flickr

Bruichladdich Stillroom by Harry Pulley, on Flickr

Bruichladdich Distillery front sign by Harry Pulley, on Flickr

The Paps of Jura by Harry Pulley, on Flickr
    Last edited by hpulley; 03-17-2011 at 02:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not even with a completely manual camera, not using batteries? Wow. That's harsh.

Oh well, enjoy the memories, the smells, the flavors, and the experience! Everything doesn't have to be photographed...
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I could ask about using my Leica, but I hear you cant even take a cell phone in there.

Ardbeg! Good choice.

Oh, is that owned by Glenmorangie? They might let you photograph. I need to drop them a line.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    Just got an email back. Nothing allowed from Talisker...

Sigh!
    Too bad, although I'd still suggest to bring a camera. Company policy from people who sit at desks all day is one thing, but... just ask again when you're there, about to go on a tour of the distillery. Maybe the tour guide at the distillery will turn a blind eye. No harm in asking again.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great tips all. I think the idea of sparking a fire is ludicrous, but if it somehow did, could you imagine the damage to the business?

Looks as though it would be a case by case basis. I will let you all know what Talisker says. I may not be able to photograph, but there are worse things one can't do at a distillery.
    A company I worked for were doing some work below ground in a coal mine, and the manager who was in charge of the project wasn't allowed underground to supervise the engineers because of the danger of explosion when the clients learned he had a pacemaker fitted in his heart !.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I could ask about using my Leica, but I hear you cant even take a cell phone in there.

Ardbeg! Good choice.

Oh, is that owned by Glenmorangie? They might let you photograph. I need to drop them a line.
    Ardbeg is indeed owned by Glenmorangie, well really owned by Louis Vitton Moet Hennesey group but it was already owned by them when I was there years ago and they let me photograph the place. I sure hope that policy hasn't changed!

Happiness is...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    There's a fair history of Bourbon distilleries burning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    For those who don't know he is a huge pro legalization of mj. He gives talks on it locally, his office is about 15 miles from my house. He's an ok guy but kinda geeky.
    I had a strange reaction to the thread title for a related reason. I used to work for eBags in customer service and we sold Rick Steves luggage along with about every other brand imaginable. We got a very strange email from a potential customer who was just livid that we would sell luggage from someone who was such an unrepentant druggie. According to this guy Rick had "recommended" going to a marijuana coffeehouse in Amsterdam.

Makes me wonder if they guy sends similar email to Macy's for selling Jerry Garcia ties or Wal Mart for selling Willie Nelson records.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I am guessing that they find it easier to ban everything rather than have to inspect each potential camera for sparking risks. I also wonder if it could really be that flammable, but if it truly is, they don't want to find out the hard way that the camera someone promised was completely mechanical throws a major spark after all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For the record I am now retired, but worked for ten years as Safety & Risk Manager for a corporation that ran a large industrial alcohol facility, and thereafter as an industrial safety consultant for a large US company operating worldwide in a lot of hazardous situations including explosives and mining. So I have some background.
    In recent years the tightening of OH&S regulations in almost every country and the increasing risk aversion (i.e. ANY risk) by management because of legal and personal liabilities has resulted in a shift towards a much more cautious approach than might have been the case when the facility was built or even last visited by a tourist who wants to take photographs.

Frankly, your wish to take photos doesn't even rate on their scale of concerns. Fire and explosion is right up there. Some facilities are constructed and operated better than others. Some are modern and some are very old. Some will be OK but some will be emitting vapours to the atmosphere continuously. It's not unusual in those older plants for ANYTHING which could possibly create a spark (and that can include ferrous metal in buttons, belt buckles etc) watches, keyring spotlights etc to be totally prohibited.
    Granted the risk might be very small and that some managements go overboard in the search for "ultimate" safety but there's no point in getting aerated about it or trying to devise some way around it. You follow their rules or you don't get entry. So get over it, or choose another facility.
    Trying to overturn an employee's defence of management's decision by arguing about the merits of a manual camera compared to one with electronics is just sophistry. Chance are they won't even know what you're talking about, let alone defy their management.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why allow tours at all then? If it really is so dangerous that a camera or cell phone could set it off, why risk it? The funny thing is that the grist mill may be more dangerous than the alcohol, the fine powdered flour in the air is very flammable.

Thankfully I got my pictures and lived to develop and print them ;-) And drink the whisky, good stuff, cask strength the only way to drink it. Slainthe!

Happiness is...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin