Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,324   Online: 870

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Not even with a completely manual camera, not using batteries? Wow. That's harsh.
    May be you would convince the guide but you would have to convince other visitors from eight different countries in at least five different languages in which respect your camera is basically different from theirs. My Italian, French, Czech or Japanese is not good enough that I even tried to make an attempt

Ulrich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ulrich,

I have been to photograph many places where I had to obtain a special permit to do so. I was thinking that it might be possible to arrange something with the distillery prior to arriving, by talking to them, explaining how the camera works, and that they perhaps could, against a fee, give a private tour where you could photograph with a manual camera.
    You know, so that other visitors can't see it.

If you really want to photograph a place, you shouldn't give up at the first obstacle. Some people can be incredibly accommodating, as long as you treat them with respect and explain what you want to accomplish very clearly.

And others might not be so accommodating. That's when you stop negotiating.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If that's the case, then, why not take the tour, sans camera, and have a look around to decide what you want to photograph, if anything. After the tour, if you are so motivated, make the approach for permission to photograph.

P.S.: If it is an old distillery, certainly make the pitch that photos will be (or SHOULD be) taken with an "old" camera. The appeal to tradition has its merits.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    If that's the case, then, why not take the tour, sans camera, and have a look around to decide what you want to photograph, if anything. After the tour, if you are so motivated, make the approach for permission to photograph.

P.S.: If it is an old distillery, certainly make the pitch that photos will be (or SHOULD be) taken with an "old" camera. The appeal to tradition has its merits.
    I must admit that my interest in taking pictures of this place was not strong enough to arrange for a paid private tour. This may change a lot, especially if you go there off season.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich Drolshagen View Post
    No kidding I've bee there. photographing is strictly prohibited. I did not dare trying to convince them that with my Rolleiflex there is no electricity involved. They fear ignition of a blast of alcohol in the air. Not in the stills hall I suppose but the hall with the mash and wort basins....Ulrich
    Photographing the wort you say?

Wort by Harry Pulley, on Flickr
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Maybe we will look for a distillery in Frankfurt, Ulrich. Looks like I may have convinced my wife to finally go someplace I speak the language. lol
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin