Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,040   Online: 803

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Danger of selling to foreign purchaser?

I have an opportunity to sell a Hasselblad lens to a buyer in Singapore. The buyer is willing to pay via PayPal. I have no reason to distrust the buyer, but I have never sold anything to a foreign purchaser. Actually I have been more of a buyer than seller, and have never sold anything via Paypal. I am just a bit nervous about selling and shipping overseas.

Are there any dangers that I should be aware of before completing this transaction? Thanks for any and all advice.
    Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Make a accounted for invoice of what you are selling them and shipping method.
    Have them pay the invoice via paypal... that way if something goes wrong it is documented.
    Ship via a traceable carier and insure.
    Let them know that this is the end our your liability.

Be sure the funds are in your hands and "good".
    THe documentation will be protection against paypal revoking the payment.

I don't know what else to say.
    I haveshipped items to Hong Kong, Belgium, the UK, and Germany.

I have bought via e-bay from Uraguay, Japan and the UK.
    On my own from Japan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Read very carefully the terms of PayPal's buyer's protection services. Pay particular attention to requirements respecting ship-to addresses, tracing and signature upon receipt.

Does the buyer have a feedback record on eBay? If so, review it carefully.

In about 75% of the cases when I've bought on eBay, I've been a "foreigner" - I live in Canada .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dont forget you may get hit with currency exchange rates on top of PP fees.
    Read the fine print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    Let them know that this is the end our your liability.
    When you use PayPal, it's PayPal that decides where your liability ends, not you.

You must be able to show on-line proof of delivery. And if the item + shipping was $250 or more, that on-line proof must include a signature.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    You must be able to show on-line proof of delivery.
    Correct. Some sellers think that they are not responsible for delivery once they have dropped the item off at the post office and even put a statement to that effect in the description. They are wrong.

That is contrary to both Ebay's terms and conditions and to the and law. The seller is responsible for delivery.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't had a problem with selling items to overseas buyers, but others have. A few points to clarify previous comments:

A paypal payment could be a purchase or a gift. A purchase entails more fees but gives more protection to the buyer. And of course a gift payment for a purchase violates paypal's terms. Note that there are paypal currency fees on top of paypal transaction fees unless the buyer has a paypal account in US dollars. Some overseas buyers do.

A payment can be funded by credit card, bank balance, or paypal balance. If funded by credit card (and perhaps bank balance too) the buyer has an additional method of reversing payment - more risk for you.

As noted, paypal protections for seller only apply when shipping to a confirmed address following paypal shipping requirements.

As with any high value sale, it's helpful to take photos immediately prior to packing plus photos to shop the item as packed.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From Canada, I've made a fair number of US purchases via eBay. I only use bank-issued US$ money orders. Most sellers will accept these and, by doing so, have ample opportunity to play dirty. None have to date. Payment is always sent by trackable letter. They save PayPal fees. I loathe PayPal but will have to use it if and when I sell anything on eBay. Some sellers are rigid about CONUS-only sales and/or make a huge fuss about Customs forms(?) or kite shipping charges. Those I avoid. Cash is private, something sellers seem to appreciate as much as I do. I'm never in a hurry but have never had a seller dawdle about bank clearance. Perhaps I have a nose for honest sellers but I've never(touch wood)been diddled in a US eBay auction.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    From Canada, I've made a fair number of US purchases via eBay. I only use bank-issued US$ money orders. Most sellers will accept these and, by doing so, have ample opportunity to play dirty. None have to date. Payment is always sent by trackable letter. They save PayPal fees. I loathe PayPal but will have to use it if and when I sell anything on eBay. Some sellers are rigid about CONUS-only sales and/or make a huge fuss about Customs forms(?) or kite shipping charges. Those I avoid. Cash is private, something sellers seem to appreciate as much as I do. I'm never in a hurry but have never had a seller dawdle about bank clearance. Perhaps I have a nose for honest sellers but I've never(touch wood)been diddled in a US eBay auction.
    Why, might I ask, do you loathe Paypal? Their fees are trivial and they provide protection to both buyer and seller. seems well worth it to me. I think you have been very lucky using money orders.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Just wait till you've got the cash then send it on. No risk there in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin