Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,447   Online: 932

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Which Slide Film for South India?

Hi folks,
    I am hopefully going to South India for approximately 4 weeks in may on my way to Australia. I visited the south once before in 1999 and most of my pictures were taken on slide film. I was not really into photography at the time and think I was using a cheap P&S camera though there were some surprisingly nice pictures (it's the slide thing, colours, light...) there when I had a look at the slides the other day.
    The film I was using was Sensia 100 and though I wouldn't have realised at the time I can see that it has pretty good exposure latitude for a slide film, with some reasonable shadow detail and highlights are not too bad for snapshot pictures.
    This time though I would like something a little more saturated.
    I have limited experience of slide films but my technique is much better than back then so I could work with a film with less exposure latitude. Plus I will be using a matrix metering SLR on this trip.
    So what films are there that have a bit more colour than Sensia at 100 to 400 asa and will be suitable for typical travel photography - architecture, landscape and street scenes handheld in good light plus some sunsets and streetlight lit night photos? I will be taking a tripod.
    The pictures will be mostly for projection but I anticipate scanning and printing a selection for a little album too.
    So far I am leaning towards the Elite Chrome films - maybe the extra saturation one. I'm not afraid of deeply saturated pics (velvia 50 style) but it will still be needed for general purpose snaps.
    What to do?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For a start, pick a film from Kodak or Fuji and make sure you have enough. It's hard to even find 35mm colour film of any kind in India. Maybe Kodak Gold 100 ISO in some shops. At least the labs here will know what to do with it if it's a Fuji or Kodak product - Elite Chrome might be a whole different matter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Which all places in South India do you intend to visit and what is your usual subject? If it's primarily nature + architecture / monuments with some candid shots thrown in here and there, I would suggest films like Provia and Sensia [the non-pro Provia] 100. Like the rest of the country, South India is also full of bright colours and hence even less saturated films will do the job perfectly. I would not vouch for saturated films as those will have a high potential to ruin the portraits taken there. One word of caution - it is unlikely that you will get a ready supply of your slide film of choice at most of the photo shops in the country. So come prepared with your stock. If you have specific questions, feel free to drop me a PM as well.

Cheers
    Deb

Shooter
    35mm
    Given that you're visiting India in the summers, it will be very bright (and harsh, both the light and temperature)
    I think you should be able to get good results out of Velvia 50 thanks to the long and bright days (Disclaimer: I've never shot any 50 speed film, let alone Velvia)

ISO 200 films should suffice though. I've shot a roll of ISO 100 Sensia slide in mostly dim lights (sunrise, sunsets, dim-lit restaurants etc.) and the results are pretty good.
    If I were you I'd be careful with the x-ray effect on high speed films...
    What I gather from most shops here is that low speed films won't get hurt but higher ISO (800+) will die in the strong x-rays at airports (Again, I have no personal experience of this.)

Better buy some locally and if possible, get them developed before you leave...

Shooter
    35mm
    I should think Provia 100 & 400 would fit the bill. But whatever you choose, test the film before you leave!
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out Steve McCurry's later work in India and Pakistan using E100G and E100VS.
    Last edited by lxdude; 03-16-2011 at 10:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd use Velvia 50 or the Kodak listed above, 100VS.

Provia always seems to bias toward blue for me...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here I am in India, merrily snapping away. Just wondered if anyone knows if E6 (slide) processing is still available in Chennai, Cochin or Bangalore? Chennai would be my most useful site.
    Any info gratefully received.
    PS It's hot!

Shooter
    35mm
    If you are not going to project them I do not see any reason why you would not like the Ektar 100 color negative. It is cheaper to buy cheaper to develop has more latitude and is more forgiving in the huge contrasts you are definitely going to see in India and the colors are amazing.
    Now if you insist on slide film I would think that Velvia 50 is way too light thirsty and Sensia 400 would prove very useful.

Shooter
    35mm
    @BoxBrownie - E6 processing is a sad story in India with only a couple of labs doing those properly and none in Southern India. You will need to send across your rolls to either to Surendra Patel @ Ahmedabad [charges INR 200 / roll] or to SV Photographic in Delhi [charges INR 300/ roll]. Surendra Patel can also do a hi-res scan [no post processing] of the entire roll for you if needed. You can google their contact details or can PM me. I have been using both their services for years now and am pretty satisfied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin