Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,411   Online: 1037

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What's to see or photo in the Minneapolis area?

I'm in Minneapolis for a couple of days and brought a couple cameras with me. Unfortunately, the weather isn't supposed to be very good while I'm here, but maybe there will be a brief period when it isn't raining or snowing.

I've been here a number of times before and have been down around St. Anthony Falls, and out around Lake Harriet and Lake Calhoun, but what else is there? Any good camera stores in town? There is absolutely nothing I need, but it's always fun to look.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Get a tour of the Minneapolis Photo Center, seriously, it is an interesting place. If I did not live in Seattle, I would join. Also, check out the Weinstein gallery, always worth a visit. Other than than, remember to open up a few stops when shooting snow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find the camera stores kind of sad, really, but National Camera out in Golden Valley (western suburb, not too far out if you have a car) has a funky hole in the wall upstairs called the Shutterbug department. It is kind of a strange place, and mostly serves as an office for the guy who sells stuff on eBay, but the last time I went up there they had a ton of MF stuff.

I live across the river in St Paul and would recommend taking a look around the riverfront area in and around Downtown St Paul. The downtown area rises up quite dramatically from the river and it is really something to see. In fact, a trip across the High Bridge into downtown from the West Side (it is actually south of the river, don't ask...) is quite dramatic and worth a trip.

Edit: Oh, and if you need film, West Photo on the east side of the river from downtown Minneapolis is fine. They serve the pro market in town and have lots of digital stuff, but not terribly much in the way of equipment, more heavily oriented toward consumables.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check out the old armory downtown. Also the old mills down by the river. Cool shots can be found there.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm busy all day today, but may have some time tomorrow to investigate a couple of these before I leave town. I just wish the weather was better this trip. It's already spring down south.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, we aren't helping you with the weather today are we? Of course, tomorrow we're predicting snow.

The old mill area along the river (near St. Anthony Falls) is a great spot. You might try Lowertown area in St. Paul - though they are in the midst of flood preparations. Some nice older architecture in North Loop and Warehouse area. Not sure what Minnehaha Falls is like right now but that's a possibility. Hennepin Ave and 35W bridges over Mississippi (d'town Minneapolis) can be dramatic, especially at night. Uptown (near Hennepin Ave and Lake Street) is a more "eclectic" area and probably better for street shooting. A lot depends on where you are and how mobile you are.

West Photo is fine for buying film but not much analog "stuff". National Camera (Golden Valley location) has the best and virtually only used selection in town. Definitely head upstairs to the "shutterbug" area. The also have a small/tiny darkroom area on the main level and a lighting department downstairs. There is also a National Camera location in d'town Minneapolis that might have film if you need it.

You didn't ask but I'll offer - there's some very good restaurants in the area. If you like vietnamese, try Quang and Pho Tau Bay in south Mpls. They're in an area with a lot of oriental restaurants. Closer to d'town, and a bit more upscale, are Bar La Grassa, 112 Eatery, Haute Dish, and Saffron.

Feel free to call me if you need directions (I'll PM my number).
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The sculpture garden, off Hennepin just SW of downtown, is pretty cool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Across the river from Minnehaha Falls is Hidden Falls (just south of the Ford Bridge, east side of the river). Depending on what's left snow-cover wise down there, it's a pretty neat area. Kind of a little valley with stone steps and a concrete and stone walled "river bed" flowing to the Mississippi.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin