Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,616   Posts: 1,622,767   Online: 729

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It's not getting to Russia that's the problem, it's getting out again.
    Have you experienced problems leaving Russia? This is very unusual, please tell us more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Petersson View Post
    Have you experienced problems leaving Russia? This is very unusual, please tell us more.
    I've never been to Russia, but It's not too long ago that they wouldn't even let Russian citizens out of the country.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've never been to Russia, but It's not too long ago that they wouldn't even let Russian citizens out of the country.
    I think we might have different perspectives. The Soviet Union fell apart twenty years ago, which is all my adult life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photoexpedition View Post
    Ben, you are the pessimist :-)
    200-300 words in the lexicon suffices for successful hitch hiking travel. It is not the hard work. 1-2 months of easy work at leisure time.
    Danger of a hitch hiking is strongly exaggerated. I am hitchhiker more than 10 years. I feel bigger safety on a road, instead of in Moscow.
    But talks about hitch hiking beyond this forum. I am ready to discuss details , on other resource with that who are interested.
    I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist, if one was trying to buy travel insurance and the insurance company asked me how I was travelling and I told them hitch hiking, do you think they'd insure me ?
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Dear Umut,
    I am sorry to have to correct you on one point: it is actually rather easy for EU-citizens to get a Russian visa. You are right on all other points though!
    Erik
    (by the way, did you know that Sweden - my country - and Turkey once were close to join up against the Russians?)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    lol Mustafa. I shall have to tell my other half she has the big balls as it was her idea that we do the trans-siberian railway for our honeymoon.

While we're talking about the old USSR; has anyone here been to Pripyat? I enjoy a spot of urbex and would *really* love to spend a day in a city abandoned 20+ years ago. I hear there are tours and am looking for recommendations as to which operators are good/bad and who will allow a fair amount of freedom to wander. Are there any tours of the more industrial parts or was the town purely accommodation?

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist, if one was trying to buy travel insurance and the insurance company asked me how I was travelling and I told them hitch hiking, do you think they'd insure me ?

Have you noticed that all pessimists term themselves realists? If you leave it to pessimists, there are no pessimists.

And this pessimist should note that none of the several annual travel insurance policies I've bought in the last ten years have even bothered to ask questions about how I intend to travel. and have certainly not attempted to exclude for cover any means of travel including hitchhiking. These Insurers plainly don't have evidence to the extent that hitching is more risky than other forms of travel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Somehow hitch hiking across thousands of miles of a country where I don't even speak the language with a load of expensive photographic equipment seems to me to be a disaster waiting to happen to both the equipment and myself.
    No problem. Within a few days you'll begin to pick up the language. And limit yourself to one camera and a couple of lenses. I'd take a Kiev 4 or a FED-2 with a Jupiter 12 and a Jupiter 9. The lenses were available in both mounts, so you can find them if you look.

Hardly a fortune in equipment there, and if it's serviced properly it's as reliable as anything else. If you loose it, some shop wherever you happen to be will have another one, probably cheap.

Forget a meter. Use this: http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

Just protect your exposed film. That's the valuable thing anyway.

Now, if you aren't hitchhiking, then you can take more equipment, and you can also be a lot more versatile. But for a hitchhiking trip, treat it like a hitchhiking trip.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin