Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,114   Online: 965

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ben, you are the pessimist :-)
    200-300 words in the lexicon suffices for successful hitch hiking travel. It is not the hard work. 1-2 months of easy work at leisure time.
    Danger of a hitch hiking is strongly exaggerated. I am hitchhiker more than 10 years. I feel bigger safety on a road, instead of in Moscow.
    But talks about hitch hiking beyond this forum. I am ready to discuss details , on other resource with that who are interested.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Train travel in Russia is very pleasant. Not too expensive and there is always hot and sweet tea available.

I have hitch hiked a lot in Moscow and other large cities in Russia. You stop a car, tell where you want to go and then negotiate a price. It is a quite normal way to earn a few extra rubles. It is generally not free. The only danger that I have experienced has been bad driving and lack of seat belts.

Moscow is a wonderful place to photograph. Full of contrasts, both rough and beautiful and full of expressive people.

There are some very good and cheap photo labs in Moscow, for example one close to Kuznetski Most.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I too would recommend Ukraine over dangerous Kaukasus. Take the train to Kyiv - very picturesque. Then continue.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It's not getting to Russia that's the problem, it's getting out again.
    Have you experienced problems leaving Russia? This is very unusual, please tell us more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Petersson View Post
    Have you experienced problems leaving Russia? This is very unusual, please tell us more.
    I've never been to Russia, but It's not too long ago that they wouldn't even let Russian citizens out of the country.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I've never been to Russia, but It's not too long ago that they wouldn't even let Russian citizens out of the country.
    I think we might have different perspectives. The Soviet Union fell apart twenty years ago, which is all my adult life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photoexpedition View Post
    Ben, you are the pessimist :-)
    200-300 words in the lexicon suffices for successful hitch hiking travel. It is not the hard work. 1-2 months of easy work at leisure time.
    Danger of a hitch hiking is strongly exaggerated. I am hitchhiker more than 10 years. I feel bigger safety on a road, instead of in Moscow.
    But talks about hitch hiking beyond this forum. I am ready to discuss details , on other resource with that who are interested.
    I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist, if one was trying to buy travel insurance and the insurance company asked me how I was travelling and I told them hitch hiking, do you think they'd insure me ?
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Benjiboy ,

Nobody force you to travel by hitchiking . But it is fun if you want to know new people and see the land slower than plane. I dont think no british insurance company can handle the situation when you are at Siberia . Go to spanish islands , rent a car and have fun , Russia is for the men with big balls. I dont think also no british man easily can get a visa , you must be very rich and proof it. Let me have romance with StPetersburg women when watching the white nights and the bridges , palaces and the Neva ships. No british army can beat the russian army but we did countless times , so its my birthright the russian women

Umut

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Dear Umut,
    I am sorry to have to correct you on one point: it is actually rather easy for EU-citizens to get a Russian visa. You are right on all other points though!
    Erik
    (by the way, did you know that Sweden - my country - and Turkey once were close to join up against the Russians?)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    lol Mustafa. I shall have to tell my other half she has the big balls as it was her idea that we do the trans-siberian railway for our honeymoon.

While we're talking about the old USSR; has anyone here been to Pripyat? I enjoy a spot of urbex and would *really* love to spend a day in a city abandoned 20+ years ago. I hear there are tours and am looking for recommendations as to which operators are good/bad and who will allow a fair amount of freedom to wander. Are there any tours of the more industrial parts or was the town purely accommodation?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin