Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,875   Online: 992

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist, if one was trying to buy travel insurance and the insurance company asked me how I was travelling and I told them hitch hiking, do you think they'd insure me ?

Have you noticed that all pessimists term themselves realists? If you leave it to pessimists, there are no pessimists.

And this pessimist should note that none of the several annual travel insurance policies I've bought in the last ten years have even bothered to ask questions about how I intend to travel. and have certainly not attempted to exclude for cover any means of travel including hitchhiking. These Insurers plainly don't have evidence to the extent that hitching is more risky than other forms of travel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Somehow hitch hiking across thousands of miles of a country where I don't even speak the language with a load of expensive photographic equipment seems to me to be a disaster waiting to happen to both the equipment and myself.
    No problem. Within a few days you'll begin to pick up the language. And limit yourself to one camera and a couple of lenses. I'd take a Kiev 4 or a FED-2 with a Jupiter 12 and a Jupiter 9. The lenses were available in both mounts, so you can find them if you look.

Hardly a fortune in equipment there, and if it's serviced properly it's as reliable as anything else. If you loose it, some shop wherever you happen to be will have another one, probably cheap.

Forget a meter. Use this: http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

Just protect your exposed film. That's the valuable thing anyway.

Now, if you aren't hitchhiking, then you can take more equipment, and you can also be a lot more versatile. But for a hitchhiking trip, treat it like a hitchhiking trip.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin