Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,093   Online: 733

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We have a car scrap yard near to here (S.E. OZ) that has become a bit of a magnet to photographers. The switched on owner now charges $10.00 for you to photograph in there, which suits me fine, as you can easily spend a day in these places!
    I find that you need to walk around for a while just to get a "feel" for the subjects, and they are everywhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Macro heaven!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Images
    I was actually looking for something and they told me to drive around until I found it. Big scrap yard small town mentality. I drove the whole lot. It was great.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seperate the trees?! you worry too much, just go shoot.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Macro heaven!
    And pinhole heaven!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Active scrap/salvage/recycling businesses aren't usually very welcoming. They're busy, dirty, sometimes dangerous places whose owners aren't keen on having civilians onsite. I've had better luck at older, slower, half-dead yards. Here in Canada(esp. Ontario), environmental regulations force old yards to clean-up or close, especially the latter if they're in the way of housing developers. I've had better luck shooting on and around old farms, frankly.
    Here in Toronto, behind where Elevator used to be on Industrial in Leaside there is a scrap metal yard. They do not welcome shooters. Bob Carnie has been chased out before (more than once). A lot of what they have is shredded and compressed/bent bits that are neat abstactions. Go on a Sunday morning when the sun is rising. A lot of the stuff can be viewed from a rial siding that runs between Industrial St and Commercial Road.

I would love to get into Cooksville Auto Wreckers, in Mississuaga. There are a ton of vehicles, wierdly enough, in the middle of the City. Regretably, they keep it well fenced both physically and visually. I suspect the soil is contaminated enough no one wants to buy them out yet, for the cost of the remediation.

I have heard of a scrap yard out Bowmaville/Kingston way off of the 401 that has cars from the 30's and 40's with forests growing up through them.

Off of 9th line here in west Missisauga there are a few land holdings with good collections of old derelict trucks and farm machinery between Brittania and Derry, that you get a glimpse fo as you zoom north on the 407. I have yet to find the time to see how one might negotiate access. Their buildings that front along 9th Line seem to be going concerns.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Well Mike outed me

I have been shooting in a scrap yard for about 7 years , until I got caught on a Sunday morning two years ago, the place is right behind my old shop with no fence.
    Took me a year to get up the guts to go back , I took into the management a few really nice prints and basically got their permission to walk around their yard and collect as much metal objects as I wanted. These I took up north to a daylight studio as well a skylight studio in my shop, I have been shooting these objects on table top now for a couple of years.
    I also sent a framed print to a very large metal crushing operation in Ontario , they are willing to let me walk around anytime I want and I plan to do this over the next couple of years. They also will allow me to place objects in the crusher, I can think of a few on this site so if I invite you to meet me be careful.
    To date I have around 1500 image that I use as source for my solarization work and next I plan to make some small silver edition prints .
    I do not condone breaking into the yards , one reason its illegal, two big dogs.
    I have moved from handholding medium format to tripod 4x5 and will continue this way for the next couple of years. If I ever do get access to the crusher I think I will move to 8x0 with some lighting.
    I have photographed in the Car Graveyard that Mike speaks of , very interesting place, but unfortunately the crusty old owner passed away a year ago and I think the whole property will be sold .
    This man placed every car/truck side by side and the growth around each car makes it look like a huge jungle land parking lot. He did not pile one on the other like most junk yards, kind of like giving a resting place for these vehicles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dragons.jpg   Peter.jpg   Tulips.jpg  

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    Here in Toronto, behind where Elevator used to be on Industrial in Leaside there is a scrap metal yard. They do not welcome shooters. Bob Carnie has been chased out before (more than once). A lot of what they have is shredded and compressed/bent bits that are neat abstactions. Go on a Sunday morning when the sun is rising. A lot of the stuff can be viewed from a rial siding that runs between Industrial St and Commercial Road.

I would love to get into Cooksville Auto Wreckers, in Mississuaga. There are a ton of vehicles, wierdly enough, in the middle of the City. Regretably, they keep it well fenced both physically and visually. I suspect the soil is contaminated enough no one wants to buy them out yet, for the cost of the remediation.

I have heard of a scrap yard out Bowmaville/Kingston way off of the 401 that has cars from the 30's and 40's with forests growing up through them.

Off of 9th line here in west Missisauga there are a few land holdings with good collections of old derelict trucks and farm machinery between Brittania and Derry, that you get a glimpse fo as you zoom north on the 407. I have yet to find the time to see how one might negotiate access. Their buildings that front along 9th Line seem to be going concerns.
    Dropped my terminally-ill Subaru off at Cooksville last week. It's not quite what you imagine, Mike. They strip/crush/recycle cars. Parts harvesting is where the money is, followed by bulk scrapping of what's left. There's not really a sprawling vista of rusting hulks.It was very un-photogenic, trust me. That sort of yard, where it still exists, will be very rural.
    Last edited by CGW; 05-25-2011 at 01:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many times, one of my sons lives in South Wales and took me here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodham_Brothers which to me is the ultimate scrapyard and is often referred to by enthusiasts as " he Valley Of The Kings"
    Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin