Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,551   Online: 1058

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Anyone shoot in a scrap yard?

Scouted a scrap yard today. I was planning to ask the owners if I could go in and shoot but I was seriously overwhelmed. So much stuff. So many opportunities. It was hard to focus.

Anyone here ever shot in a scrap yard? If so how did you seperate the trees from the forest?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes. Go slow. But get the permission first, no place around here will let anyone on the property any more. I\'d love to get back to one place, too bad.
    Last edited by erikg; 05-24-2011 at 06:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's a junk yard, climb into one of the cars if it's safe, and shoot out the cracked windshield or something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you looking for a good scrap yard come over to my garage!

Jeff

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Active scrap/salvage/recycling businesses aren't usually very welcoming. They're busy, dirty, sometimes dangerous places whose owners aren't keen on having civilians onsite. I've had better luck at older, slower, half-dead yards. Here in Canada(esp. Ontario), environmental regulations force old yards to clean-up or close, especially the latter if they're in the way of housing developers. I've had better luck shooting on and around old farms, frankly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Old salvage yards are fantastic places to shoot, I haven't been in one in years. I love to roam the freight yards, permission is getting harder to obtain though. there is an old PRR railroad repair shop about an hour from my home, I would love to spend a day there.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have actually been paid several times to photograph a recycling yard. It is a treat. Be careful, and don't trespass.
    I do figure if you ask they will say no... I had to wear hard-hat, steel toes and safety glasses.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Get yourself a pair of steel toe cap boots, high viz vest, hard hat, and safety glasses - Then go ask. Working scrap yards are dangerous places and if the guy in charge can see you take safety seriously, you have a better chance of getting in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Even on assignment a handler was close by.... and dang those places are dirty! The place I photographs handles all the scrap metal from the Subaru Zero land fill plant here in Lafayette, Indiana. I have also been asked to photograph it from the air twice. You can see a couple scrap-yard images on my home-page www.vincentseye.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin