Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,605   Online: 1117

Shooter
    Multi Format

Greenbrier/Sulphur Springs WV

Next month we're taking a quick trip, only a couple of days, to the Greenbrier Resort in West Virginia.

Other than the facility itself, any suggestions on some must visit photographic sites in the area?

Thx

Stoog

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Seneca Rocks north of there
    Cass RR, eleven Shay locomotives, largest collection in the world. Photo rides up and down the mountain.

As a pro for Remington Arms I worked a week long shoot there in my youth. The waiters said they could tell what day of the vacation a person was on by what they ordered. 1st day buffet, eat it all, last day filet and string beans, stuffed to the gills.

John Powers
    Last edited by jp80874; 06-04-2011 at 07:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'll "second" the suggestion to visit the Cass RR. I've always had a wonderful time there.
    —Eric

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I am glad to learn of Cass RR, since I will be relocating about 100 miles from there this summer. It sounds very interesting.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dan, it is great. It is pretty hard to take LF on the ride. I had difficulty even with an RZ67 many years ago because you are horsing it up and down a ladder on the side of the train. You can easily use LF in the start area where I have seen three Shay engined trains line up for a drag race. Wait for it.

Some times they allow photographers in the restoration area which is really neat if you don't mind long exposures. It is mighty beautiful up on the mountain top.

There is a terribly shaky U-tube of the train’s arrival in Cass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYoNRNSQQJM

Main site for the engines http://www.cassrailroad.com/locos.html

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll "third" the suggestion of Cass. Walk up around the water tower and catch the engine taking on water before it back to the station for boarding.

Lewisburg is quaint town and the General Lewis Inn is a great place to eat. There are a lot of old historic homes and buildings in that part of the country. If you like historic springs there are several in the area. Pence Springs is not far from Alderson, and Blue Sulphur Springs is sort of in the middle of nowhere and the only thing left are the Grecian columns in the field at the spring site. I always thought it was cool. Great sulphur water too, if you are in to that sort of thing. The locals say it is the strongest smelling sulphur spring.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys. Looks like Cass RR is going to be definitely on our itinerary. Sounds quite fascinating in fact.
    Thanks for the heads up.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin