Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,322   Posts: 1,536,912   Online: 1093

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The hottest I ever experienced in the area was 124 degrees (51 Celsius) in 1994, and I was on a motorcycle. The engine heat on my legs made it especially difficult. I got to Palm Desert and up Hwy. 74 into the mountains as quickly as I could.
    The highest temperature in the state is often at a place just north of the Salton Sea called, appropriately, Thermal.
    Is it a sandy desert or flat rock ? Do you have pictures ? How was the desert color , brown , blue or beige ? Do this desert covered with bloom at spring ?

Every year Indian Motorcycle Club cross the Death Valley with least 60 years old Indians. They are really crazy people but I love them. I found a photo gallery and rock walls , canyons looks like Canon the Savage comics books.

I very interested in buying seeds from Sonora desert seed sellers and grow at my home. Ansel Adams reported the all fauna and flora of Death valley and there are least 70 different flowers there. After reading his book , I am growing Cactus at my room. We are growing Cactuses for 35 years at our home and some growed like a tree , very scary look. One of the cactus opened its big purple flower after 20 or more years and they say its a very rare occasion.

I think when you become a senior , you will be an member of Antique Club of America and buy a Indian .

I love Honda , is it Alpine one ?

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    If it is hot as it told dont forget sun oil is essential or you turn to a lobster
    No, put on baby oil and then roll in the sand. That will reduce the possibility of sun burn and provide an interesting tan pattern.

All siriusness aside, thanks for the lens help last night.

I think that you can find the privacy you want to photographing a model in Josuah Tree National Park.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is the Coachella Valley in Southern California. It's sandy in most places. The sand is beige, though the rocky hillsides in some places are many beautiful hues. Most natural vegetation is low growing, and unless the spring is a dry one, colorful displays of sand verbena, cactus and wildflowers (some tiny and very delicate) are visible many places. It's part of the Colorado desert, commonly called the low desert, as contrasted with the high desert, the Mojave.
    Most of the valley floor is below sea level, with the shoreline of an ancient sea visible on the mountainsides along the Salton Sink, in which the Salton Sea is located. If the surface of the Salton Sea were at sea level, much of the Coachella Valley would be covered by it, and people could have shoreline property in Palm Springs!
    I do have pictures, but none in digital form...

My bike is an old one, a 1983 Honda V45 Magna (750cc). A road bike, powerful and smooth engine. Riding in 124 degrees F on the hot freeway surface is something I'll never do again. I did it that one time to feel what it's like-no need to repeat! I was very happy to be able to escape the heat by heading up to much cooler elevations-no way was I going to ride home back through the valley.
    A month or so after that I got a job in Palm Springs and commuted every day-in a car without air conditioning. I got used to it eventually.

I rode my bike in milder weather for a while but got tired of replacing helmet face shields from windblown sand. Not to mention getting tired of leaning hard to the left while traveling on the straight road off the freeway at 50 miles per hour when the wind was blowing hard. Made me a bit nervous, it did, what with cars coming the other way and all.
    Last edited by lxdude; 06-09-2011 at 08:20 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    lxdude ,

I know Magna , wonderful motor. Its muscular , strong and reliable , motorcycle magazines like it very much . Did New Indian succeed at its business after Henderson crash ? I am thinking to buy a Ural from Georgia or Russia and cross the Asia until Japan through Siberia. I learned that Siberia is not for humans at summer because there are billions of mosquitos. At nights , mosquito density to reach to rock density and they off the campfires !!!!! lol , No , I did not deserve it. I talked with someone on chat trying to sell me a chinese big motorcycle new 350 dollars and for African Roads. It costs me 700 with taxes and it is the best bet. I can sleep in sidecar at the road and driving the devil on 3 legs is better. I think driving from Istanbul to Morocco is best option. I dont want to insult myself with visa applications and facist police and Europe is not an option. I always want to live in Tunisia and Morocco and I will be closer to my sister , She is in France. Morocco Atlas Mountains is an excellent place and if you know Star Wars 1979 , its desert scenes recorded at that area. Algeria is an excellent place also , all speak French and its a good place to learn French , Arabian and Spanish. May be I cross the straits with a inner tube and a sail attached it and visit Barcelona and Al Hambra.
    It seems to me there are least two years barrier in front of me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The New Indian went bankrupt years ago, but its designs and the name were acquired by another group and they're building bikes again as Indian Motorcycle (not Indian Motocycle). Polaris, who make the very nice Victory brand of Harley-type bikes, bought Indian Motorcycle this year.
    The Excelsior-Henderson debacle was so sad...people with grand plans reviving a name almost no one remembers, and lacking the ability to make it happen. In contrast, Polaris started Victory from nothing but had the business experience and production knowledge to succeed.

I like your plans, especially the inner tube and sail!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    When you go don't miss the newly renovated marina and yacht club near the northern end on the east side. The historical society of Riverside County has cleaned it up and finished as it was during its heyday including the exact pint colors. It is a beautiful intro to the Sea and a cool respite from the hot winds.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    A month or so after that I got a job in Palm Springs and commuted every day-in a car without air conditioning. I got used to it eventually.
    ...but it's a dry heat.

I think I've been to Thermal and Mecca, which is nearby and not nearly as impressive as its namesake. (Given the desert location and large numbers of date palms, Middle Eastern-themed place names, etc., are widespread. One high school's athletic teams are named the "Arabs".)
    Pentax: 6x7 MLU
    Olympus: OM-1n
    Graflex: Miniature (2x3) Speed Graphic

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was there on a birdwatching trip back in 1982 when I was 19 years old. Man, you should have seen the ruins. Most only a few years old but completely abandoned. Large marinas, restaurants and hotels you could walk right into and go out on the large outdoor decks over the water (well, salty sand....the water was a few hundred yards away by then) with deck chairs, pools, equipment, etc. everywhere. Looked like it had been abandoned all in one day and everyone just stopped what they were doing one afternoon and simply left. I was into photography then but wildlife and bird photography and it hardly struck me to take any photos of the buildings or the abandoned scenes around me. With the kind of B&W work I'm into now I simpy curse myself I did not take more photos back then.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Large marinas
    I did not get it , If I am not wrong , We are talking about a desert. May be desert at the seaside ? Why it is left like it ?

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    I did not get it , If I am not wrong , We are talking about a desert. May be desert at the seaside ? Why it is left like it ?

Umut
    The Salton Sea was caused around 1905 by water accidently diverted from the Colorado River. It has been drying up ever since. At one time, a Marina was built and it did have boats. As the "sea" has been drying up, the Marina lost its proximity to water hence a marina in the middle of the desert.

See reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salton_Sea

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin