Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,321   Online: 1085

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Salton Sea ruins

Where are the best ruined/abandoned buildings around the Salton Sea? I'm particularly interested in the things like the marina and some of the hotels that I've seen pictures of before, the ones with the funky architecture.

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    My first answer is that you're too late- even when I was last there three years ago, most of the stuff I'd seen in other's photographs was beyond photography IMO and new communities of boxlike housing were springing up driven I imagine my low land prices. That said the best of what there is is I guess round Desert Shores and Salton City on the west side, around Bombay Beach on the east side and theres the odd thing round Calipatria and Niland on the south shore. A decent view from round red island on the shore near Calipatria.

The thing that absolutely is worth photographing round there is Salvation Mountain, a hand-made and brightly painted adobe "mountain" just east of Niland - on Beal Road IIRC. No matter how well travelled you may be, I wouldn't expect that you've seen anything like this before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the land boom around the Salton Sea done busted along with the rest of the housing boom, so I bet a lot of that boxlike housing is vacant now (or was platted but never built out). I haven't been out there lately to check, though. But a lot of the "future that never happened" architecture is gone, true.

Bombay Beach is a weird little place any way you look at it and should still have some abandoned sections. The northeast corner of the Sea in general has some interesting stuff; North Shore is a tiny little settlement that when I was last there seemed to sort of be a failed attempt at suburbia, and the International Banana Museum was supposed to open there in January 2011, which isn't exactly "ruined/abandoned" but about as odd as you can get.

Sightseeing on Google Maps is actually a pretty good way to discover interesting things out there. Just be careful; not everything shown as a road is passable.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Take a shitload of water, it can be like a furnace down there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rorye View Post
    Take a shitload of water, it can be like a furnace down there.
    and a sidearm ?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If it is hot as it told dont forget sun oil is essential or you turn to a lobster

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've always wanted to go out there, and wondered if it was worth the trouble. On my one trip out to the desert, I got as far as Indio, which for someone raised in the East and now living in LA is a pretty weird place, visually. (No, I did not go for Coachella.)

If anyone in the SoCal area wants to take a photo expedition out to the desert, let me know, I'd be willing to tag along.
    Pentax: 6x7 MLU
    Olympus: OM-1n
    Graflex: Miniature (2x3) Speed Graphic

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    If it is hot as it told dont forget sun oil is essential or you turn to a lobster
    The hottest I ever experienced in the area was 124 degrees (51 Celsius) in 1994, and I was on a motorcycle. The engine heat on my legs made it especially difficult. I got to Palm Desert and up Hwy. 74 into the mountains as quickly as I could.
    The highest temperature in the state is often at a place just north of the Salton Sea called, appropriately, Thermal.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The hottest I ever experienced in the area was 124 degrees (51 Celsius) in 1994, and I was on a motorcycle. The engine heat on my legs made it especially difficult. I got to Palm Desert and up Hwy. 74 into the mountains as quickly as I could.
    The highest temperature in the state is often at a place just north of the Salton Sea called, appropriately, Thermal.

51 degrees , oh my god , unbeliviable , you are lucky that your motorcycle did not fail. I have Ansel Adams Death Valley book and he suggest not to leave the car if something goes wrong and stay 3 days with the car , if you need to walk , walk at nights and rest at day light and before attemping to cross the desert , always contact with park officer and inform him about your route and days you will spend at desert. He says always contact with the park officer when you return. And he says enter the valley with two cars , small gears and carry enough water for you and your car.

A GPS and a hand held VHF radio looks essential for desert run

Umut
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 06-09-2011 at 04:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post

51 degrees , oh my god , unbeliviable , you are lucky that your motorcycle did not fail.

Umut
    It's a Honda.
    Liquid cooled. It ran hotter than usual, but never out of the safe range, even when climbing up the steep road out of the desert.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin