Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,099   Online: 932

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Buying film in Halifax, NS, CA

Hi all,

I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia and having a blast but I'm wishing I'd brought more 35mm Velvia 100 with me.

Are there any Haligonians (or recent visitors) who can give me some direction as to whether I could pick up some Velvia or E100VS or Elite Extra Colour while I'm here?

Carsand Mosher looks like it was once a good film shop but their site is hugely slanted to digital now, to the point where the "Film Services" tab for processing states "Still have some undeveloped film?" That gives me the impression that they can't be bothered to stock film, but perhaps it was an overzealous web developer who didn't understand that some people choose to own iPhones and iPads but still shoot film.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

PS - off to Cape Breton Island on Friday, then off to the Fundy shore near the Annapolis Valley to finish the trip late next week. I'm really looking forward to it.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Carsand Mosher in Bayers Lake does stock a small amount of film behind the counter. Give them a call to see what they have. They also have store in Truro that you may pass by on the way to Cape Breton. Their website is indeed sadly digital but they do have a small amount of film,paper, and chemicals hidden in the back corner. I'm not 100% sure but I think Henry's in Bayers Lake might also stock some. There is also Atlantic Photo, downtown on Spring Garden Road - but I haven't been in the store for many years.

Best of luck

George
    Last edited by George Nova Scotia; 06-22-2011 at 09:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    There is a camera store in Sydney on the island of Cape Breton and they did stock film there a few years ago when I was there working on a book about Cape Breton. I can't recall the name however. Good luck!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Atlantic Photo on Spring Garden Road does stock some film, but I don't use Fuji, and can't advise if they have your velvia in stock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the advice. I struck out at Henry's but will try Carsand and Atlantic while I am still in town.

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah, Carsand downtown used to carry a decent supply of film but since that location's closure it's slim pickings. I have to order film in from elsewhere.

Glad to hear you're otherwise having a good time here!

Shooter
    35mm
    Carsand Moser in Truro was always worth a visit - but I haven't been in for a bit, so I'm not certain about their film stock.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I struck out at Henry's but will try Carsand and Atlantic while I am still in town.
    Jim
    I may have a few rolls of Velvia 50 etc in the freezer if all else fails.I'm in Bedford and you can always drop by anyway 835 3911 cell 440 2730
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I picked up a few rolls of Sensia 100 at Carson today - they had some pro films too but they weren't refrigerated. At least they had them. So I'll be good now.

Thanks so much for the offer, Mark - I appreciate it. Maybe we could meet up for a drink tomorrow night?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The NSCAD art store downtown has some selection of B&W film (Ilford and Kodak), but I don't think they have much colour. They have Ilford paper and chemicals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin