Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,315   Online: 890

Shooter
    Multi Format

Protecting my cameras from the elements.

Hi -

I'm planing a rather exended trip - about two months.

I'll be bringing several cameras which include 35mm to medium format to 4x5's.

I have my 35mm in cases - this was easy.

My Medium format as well as my 4x5's are in waterproof soft cases.
    I carring a graphic crown and a Omega 45d.

All my cameras are my concern but my MF and especially my 4x5's are my biggest consern on how to protect them from the elements.

Heat - dew - moisture etc. Rain.
    having them in the bag is one thing but taking them out in wet weather - or foggy - dewy weather and putting them back after being expoesed to the elements conserns me.
    No hotels - no A/C for a couple months so i need all the help i can get - one area i am going to - from what i understand pretty much stays wet all day - all night and it rains forever...

Need some help from those that have been on long excursions with gear - how do i protect it - and keep my packs kinda light - i thought of dryer packs but they burn out and in really damp humid enviroments will burn out quickly...

As well - any good DIY covers for my cameras - especially my 4x5 for these damp situations - anybody have any suggestoins? that work and are fool proof?

Thanx guys as this my first time doing this with my gear - I love my gear - worked hard for my gear and don't want it ruined. But i want to use it too.

After all, that"s why i got it.

thanx
    chase

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep some dessicant packs in all your cases, and a good towel or chamois to wipe them down before putting them away.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    You should never go anywhere without your towel.

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    You should never go anywhere without your towel.

s-a
    And more importantly, "Don't Panic"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a chamoise packed - but the dessicant packs probaly won't last long.

I'll be camping the whole trip - no car no van to put gear in incase of storms etc etc.

As well - my consern is for the film - there is going to be heat - humidity rain etc.
    2 and 1/2 months before i can process it i figure.

all the help tips for is kind of trip is appricated.

chase

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about Pelican cases with a silica gel desiccant? They have some in aluminium cases that you can dry out in ovens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For the 35 and 2 1/4 try large Ziploc bags, a cable release and a lens shade when out in light rain. They are clear and flexible and you can zip them closed to the lens shade. I'm not sure it would work with the 4x5. Perhaps a folding umbrella will help. Wipe the equipment before putting it away in the camera bags. Two years ago it rained 8 days out of a two week trip to New Zealand and that's how I handled my 2 1/4 with no problems including cutting a slit in the Ziplocs so I could attach the cameras to a tripod.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    lol - i WISH i could afford Pelicans - I opted for the poor mans way - well - not entirely poor mans way more - i can't aford those so what else can i use way.

These cases - now found at even Kmart are what i have as they come in a varitey of sizes. in white and yellow - though K-mart i think is Blue..??
    see attached for images

here is the link:
    Bass Pro Shops® Extreme® Boat Bags
    ( sorry guys - i don't have enough posts to post the link - but a quick google search will pull up many links to this product)

What i did to improve it - was waterproof the zipper added thin line velro just past the zipper so the flap that covers the zipper (top) stays put and pulls closer to the body.
    Silconed the seal inside where it meets the Deck tuff bottom (better safe than sorry)
    Added foam and you have a waterproof - Deck tuff bottomed carry on style camera case.

I waterproofed all my tripod cases with a commercial grade water proofer used in the boating industry that ranked #1 in a 5 day submersion test by Power Boat Mag (2004 i think) you can find this test in pdf online.

Now if you'd like to donate your Pelicans to the cause, my address is... ;0)

Zipplocks - got em! My 45D is going to be a consern here noting big enough - though... a dry bag might work - they are cheap enough and maybe even big enough that i could modify oenor two to work... hmmm
    WalMart has clear ones with mesh to add strength to the plastic. - have to see if it will be big enough.

On the Dessicant - I could come to think of it use silicone beads (sold by the quart or pint?) - they can be recharged via the oven
    - i do have a small mess kit with a small pot in it i could use like an oven to re-charge them over the camp fire.
    I wasn't going to bring it but it might be perfect for this - then just make a couple bags out of some thin cloth - little denser than cheese cloth to hold them in.

They turn pink when full i think and need re-charging (absorbed all they can - blue when charged. or something like that.)
    That might work perfectly for the cases.

any care or tips for the film?

My digital will only last as long as the batteries - i don't have a solar hook up that will work for them. besides even here in florida going out in these type conditions with high humidity - it comes alive and has a mind of it's own.
    Real weird at time - re-focuses and changes settings just holding it so i don't think it's going to fair the trip too well... we'll see.
    I'm bringing a underwater 35mm as well small one but i want to have it with just in case the opportunity presents itself to use it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yellow bag.jpg   whitebag.png  
    Last edited by chase; 07-11-2011 at 12:51 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: because i needed to..l

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shot in the Philippines and my major problem was a cold camera in hot humid climates. I would leave my air conditioned hotel with my cold camera and the lens would steam up from condensation. The condensation will dry out after the camera warms up. Sometimes water proof and air tight camera bags can work against you. Maybe breathable canvas bags would be better? I've had my Domke for over 20 years and it's worked well for me under all climates including rain. The Domke has a plastic liner inside the cover of the bag to keep out rain. The rest is breatheable duck canvas.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin