Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,257   Online: 856

Shooter
    Multi Format

Anyone here from Maine?

I am heading next week for the Maine coast, staying for a few days in each of Schoodic, Lincolnville and Boothbay. Can anyone recommend specific places for coastal landscape photography, as well as any interesting camera stores or photo galleries in these areas?

Bill

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Bill ,

Its late at USA , Stay online and your answers would start to rise in 4 hours later least.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Bill,
    I live in Maine and you can't go wrong with Acadia National Park just next to Bar Harbor. Fantastic coastal scenery, plenty of subject matter for photography.
    I'm sure Bar Harbor would have some decent galleries but I've never spent that much time in town. There are a couple of galleries which concentrate on photography in Belfast which is only about 13 miles from Lincolnville.

Chris M.
    Last edited by Chrismat; 07-20-2011 at 08:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't live in Maine, but I have visited a few times. I would expect Portland to have some galleries. With Maine being a big tourist destination, there are probably a lot of places you'll find photos for sale. Some more 'interesting' than others, of course.
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I live a long way from Maine, but I've photographed the coast a few times and will do so again this fall. Here's a few thoughts, beyond the general advice to stay as close to the water as you can.

From your base for Schoodic, visit the harbour off Corea early or late in the day, maybe both

Don't ignore the downeast coast. From Schoodic you can drive to Lubec and back in the day with plenty of time for scenic detours to places like the West Quoddy Light. Its less manicured and touristy as you get east of Acadia

I'm not a fan of the Acadia NP, but dawn or sunset from the top of Cadillac mountain is photogenic-not as photogenic as it will when I'm there with leaves on the ground cover having turned to red- but nevertheless good.

I do like the peninsula to the west of Acadia NP, which leads down to Stonington. Castine is good too.

The peninsulas just south of Boothbay harbour offer scope for decent photography. Allow plenty of time when travelling along other nearby peninsulas suchas Pemaquid- they always seem to take longer than i think.

There's a few examples on my site at www.photography001.com - look in the "By the Sea" and "structures" portfolios.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Portland Museum of Art has some good stuff most of the time.

If you like Maine coast painting, Edward Hopper exhibit going on at Bowdoin College.

Colby College in Waterville has:
    Photography Dominates Colby College Museum of Art This Summer

Photography from various periods in American history comes together in separate but related exhibitions at the Colby College Museum of Art this summer. American Modern showcases photographs from the 1930s by American masters Berenice Abbott, Margaret Bourke-White, and Walker Evans with loans from major collections including the Metropolitan Museum, the National Gallery of Art, and the Art Institute of Chicago. Recent photographs by Andrew Moore illustrate Detroit’s challenges, and a selection of works from a recent gift highlights images by notable photographers such as Berenice Abbott and Ansel Adams. Also on view will be a selection of prints by James McNeill Whistler, presented in honor of the late curator and print scholar David P. Becker.

Check out this in the little town of Georgetown (A nice place to stop and photograph as well!)

Georgetown Goes Modern: The Modern Art Movement Meets An Island Community

Opening Reception - Saturday, June 25, 3-5PM
    Exhibit runs June 26 - September 10
    Georgetown Historical Society

GHS presents a uniquely close-to-home perspective of how our island community offered shelter, sustenance, and inspiration to artists of the American modern art movement in the first half of the 20th century. The exhibit will include dozens of paintings, photographs, sculptures, and artifacts from Day, Ipcar, Kaisebier, Lachaise, Levine, Pucci, Schoener, Stieglitz, Strand, White, and the Zorachs. The close, interdependent relationships among the artists, as well as between the artists and this island’s residents can be seen and felt in the works they created and the lives they led.

Heading up the coast...

For galleries, the area around Rockland is full of them. Thomaston; check out the Haynes gallery on Route-1. In Rockland, just walk the downtown area checking out the bunch. The Farnsworth museum has a Paul Caponigro exhibit going (Nice B&W stuff). Too many Rockland galleries to name, but they are all within a half mile around the Farnsworth.

In Rockport, you may want to visit the center for maine contemporary art, Peter Ralston's gallery (a local tireless photographer of island scenes), and the Maine Media Workshop's gallery.

The whole Rockland/Rockport/Camden area is dripping in photography. It's a beautiful area that has attracted a history of famous artists, but it's also got a history as a center for learning for this sort of stuff. We've had the Maine Photo Workshops/ Maine Media workshops going on forever bringing in experts and students from all over the world. We had the short lived Kodak Center for creative imaging which brought also sorts of electronic imaging people into the area. The Farnsworth has been working hard at boosting art activities as well.

In Camden, Tillman Crane has opened a gallery (platinum LF stuff)

Further up, Belfast probably has some galleries, but I'm not familiar with that town.

I'm living right in the middle of all this, and my summer is so busy I can't get to all this stuff. I take photos constantly though and have some at http://jason.philbrook.us/gallery3/index.php/ There are landscapes in there, but it's a mix of everything.

For scenic photography, visit any of the peninsulas or connected islands that head south from Route 1 and get yourself lost. Georgetown, pemaquid, port clyde, As you do downeast, the peninsulas are nice too. Stonington, Cutler, Jonesport, etc.. Along the coast, visit Fort Knox for a mix of scenery, history, and architecture. Every town with a rocky coastline has scenic opportunities you can find just by wandering along the shoreline. You can basically park and walk along the shore and if you respect the property and property owners, you're not going to be chased away. I do this regularly in my hometown of Owls Head.

A ferry ride to one of the Penobscot Bay island is a nice way to spend half a day. Rockland Breakwater and most other lighthouses are nice stops for enjoying ocean scenery or picnicing. The breakwater also has many abstract and people opportunities. Penobscot Bay is the stomping grounds of Eliot Porter for much of his famous color nature work.

A day at Monhegan will also be very productive and you go by islands owned or used by the wyeth artists'.

In Acadia, spend some time going round the island at various times. Get out and hike some too. Lots of stuff you can't see from the car.

Aside from random antique store mini-collections, there aren't camera stores up this way. Bring what supplies you need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If time permits, there's some really amazing stuff in New Brunswick, just across the Canadian border from Maine. St. Stephen and St. Andrews are worth visiting and are right near the border. There's also a large island (name escapes me) that you access via a highway from Maine (or a ferry from New Brunswick).

I've only made it into Maine as far as Calais (i.e. not far) but certainly will be there someday to explore the coast in detail.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you everyone! Some great tips here.

Bill

Those old enough will remember that 'Peyton Place' was filmed in Camden.
    Don't forget Pemaquid Point
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin