Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,479   Online: 923

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What to see from SoCal to Phoenix, Arizona

Heading west from SoCal to Phoenix for a turn around trip (same day) via the 10 Fwy this Saturday. Any suggestions on what to see on the way? I can afford a quick look and snap if it's not too much out of the way (~2 hour detour). It's gonna' be a scorcher according to the weather man.

I know I'm time constrained but logistics prevents me from staying longer.

TIA
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Assuming that you leave early enough to have no traffic leaving and no time in Phoenix, you will not have any time for a two hour detour.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, there is nothing there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    West from SoCal, what you riding in, an F15?

Oh, you means east on I10, that's 11 hours driving time, plus fuel stops, traffic delays, what time are you leaving and returning, midnight?
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tim k View Post
    Sorry, there is nothing there.
    There is a lot to see, but the OP will spend all time looking at the gas and temperature gauges!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Supposed to be cooler than Friday. There is a wildlife reserve south of Blythe on 78, although I think everything went north for the summer.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My just take a digital camera.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've done similar there-and-back type trips myself. LA-Phoenix and SF Bay area-LA in my case. If you make sure your trip fits within your routine waking and active hours as much as possible it's much better. Working around hellacious traffic might require stretching it some, though. Fuel and food stops should be fast, 10-15 minutes, especially if you want to take time to see something. I rest for half an hour or so after arriving just to shake off the road before heading back.

Figure 12 hours minimum, with good traffic and no sight-seeing.

Mostly, you'll be seeing whatever's visible through the windows of your vehicle.

One quick stop would be at the concrete dinosaurs in Cabazon. A fun stop, with a chance to get some fuel and snacks or have an iced tea at the Wheel Inn restaurant.

If you want to see the windmill farms close up, get off at Whitewater just beyond Cabazon. Take the road paralleling the freeway, (which is old Hwy. 99) past Whitewater Rock & Supply, (maybe a mile) to where it ends in a dirt road going uphill. That takes you right up in among the windmills. The roads are public and well maintained, and go right next to the huge machines. A great view of the mountains too, especially San Jacinto. It's a short diversion, and you can go back the way you came, or go through the farms down to Hwy. 62, then back a mile or so to the 10.

When you come up out of the Coachella Valley there's the Patton Museum at Chiriaco summit. That's where Patton's tanks trained for desert warfare in WWII.

Just before Chiriaco is Cottonwood Springs Rd., which is the south entrance to Joshua Tree NP. Maps and info are at the Visitor Center. Don't worry, you won't get lost if you stay on the paved road. At first it's not as scenic, being still low desert, but two hours gives you time to get to the higher part where the Joshua trees are, drive around, get some pictures and get back down to I-10.
    Worth it if you've never been there.

Lots of desert between there and Phoenix. At Blythe, you could stick your toes in the Colorado River.

I used to live in Phoenix. Can't remember much worth seeing, though.

Tell me what time you're coming through Redlands and I'll wave in the direction of the freeway. Unless you're on the 60-then I'll wave the other direction.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, so now your back.

Was there anything there ??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim k View Post
    Ok, so now your back.

Was there anything there ??
    Well... a few spots. I tell ya' the weather was awful in AZ - 103 degrees in the shade! Phoenicians have thick skin. Incidentally, the reason I went there was to pick up a Durst L184 with a Superchromega color head.

My darkroom is temporarily closed for re-organizing so these shots are unfortunately scanned in. No gallery material here but any day out of work with a camera and a few rolls is a good day. Thanks for the recommendations!

On the side of the road...

Wind Farm
    Last edited by ghostcount; 08-05-2011 at 09:59 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Amended attachments
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin