Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,573   Posts: 1,646,638   Online: 1030

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooting in Tijuana.. Tips

Since I have been living here in San Diego for the past month or so, I've always wanted to go picture taking south of the border. From what I have gathered from asking around, it's just a bus and trolley ride from where I live, and that it is also very dangerous there. I plan on commuting and maybe walking around to see stuff, is that a smart idea? And how dangerous is it there?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is a good read.
    http://wharfyouth.org/fifteen-bodies...-reuters/28770
    Then google " murders in Tijuana.
    Have fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, THAT kind of shooting! I would avoid the thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That doesn't look good. I thought I thought it will be just like in the darker parts of Manila, Philippines (where I came from), but it looks like it is way dangerous there. Looks like I'll be sticking to Downtown SD.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's gotten pretty severely unsafe. Most of the violence seems to be directly related to the drug and smuggling businesses, and those not involved in either generally aren't targets---but mistakes happen.

A friend of mine has family living there; a few months ago, they got up one morning to find that a body had been dumped on their front steps. It seems to have been just a mistake: someone wrote down an address wrong, or something, and the "warning" got delivered to the wrong house. (Good thing they didn't hear anything and go to the door to check it out.) It's probably not a good time to visit any of the border cities just now.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see. Any recommendations then on where to go? I am just new and want to explore places, mainly looking for places that are a bit old and those near deserts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdEye View Post
    I see. Any recommendations then on where to go? I am just new and want to explore places, mainly looking for places that are a bit old and those near deserts.
    Have you been out to Anza-Borrego yet? It's not a good season right now---you want to wait until about October when it starts to cool down---but there's a lot of really neat old stuff out there. The area on Old Highway 80 around Jacumba is also pretty interesting and not quite as hot.

The area around Julian and Santa Ysabel isn't properly "desert", but it's lovely country, and while Julian itself is a bit self-consciously restored ("Look at me! I'm an Old West town!"), the general area is well worth exploring. Santa Ysabel is my personal favorite of the California missions.

Drop me a PM if you want to go out shooting sometime.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only places I have been to are the Zoo and Wildlife park, the beaches in La Jolla and Imperial Beach and sometimes I go to Downtown. I've looked up pictures of Anza Borrego and that is a place I want to go! I've never been to a place like that. I'll look up Santa Ysabel too, and I'll PM you on a shoot someday. Thank you very much.

The Mojave Desert I will definitely go to, but maybe later in the year. I'm not liking the heat now. Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tecate is relatively safe and a reasonable 45-minute drive from downtown San Diego. I spent half a day there in February. Still, even there, incidents can arise. The police chief of Tecate was murdered by the drug gangs a couple of years ago.

If you decide to chance it, though, Taco el Guero is pretty tasty.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of the border cities are shitty at this time, for obvious reasons: they are centers of international drug and human trafficking. Those in the government who are not in league with the thugs are powerless against them, so it's not like there is anyone there who will take care of you if something goes wrong. There are going to be a lot of people there who don't want some guy from San Diego walking around with a camera. Go farther south IMO. I am not one to spread fear, but I feel a good warning is really warranted in this case. Whatever photos you can get there are really not worth it IMO. It is a shithole. It always has been, but now it is a shithole that has been completely infiltrated by murderous thugs and governmental corruption. It's really tragic. Mexico is such a beautiful place and has such lovely people for the most part.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-24-2011 at 10:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin