Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,384   Online: 762

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Where to go in AZ?

Hey all,
    I recently moved to Mesa in Arizona. I haven't had the chance to do much sightseeing since I've been down here. Anybody from the area know of some good places not to far from the city to go and do some photography?
    ~Rulon
    The lamp just sat there, like an inanimate object.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First thing that came to mind is going East ot your position to Globe. Many Hohokam ruins and one in a park run by the state. There is also a nice drive past the resivour. You have the old mines and all the equipment. Great old time architecture in the town as well. North is Sedona and a very scenic area rife with possibilities. Beyond that I know Tucson area much better. Those two places are the closer in ones. The Desert is always fun, just start hiking once the temps get cooler. When you have the time, Spend a weekend up Page way. Take the railroad to the South Rim. Follow the bits of what is left of old hwy 66. If the Moggollon ridge is not to burnt, there is a lot up towards Payson. Most of all have fun exploring.
    Non Digital Diva

Images
    You are in AZ now and distance takes on a different meaning. Driving a couple of hours means nothing, not to mention that you get out of that heatsink you live in and experieince the not so always sunny parts of AZ. I'm in Ganado which is on the Navajo reservation.

Hit the Mogollon Rim. Tis time of year means fall color galore. You would also get fall color in Flagstaff though the peak may have already hit.

For big buildings go to downtown phoenix or to Tucson for smaller barrio buildings. Tucson is a happening place for photography. San Xavier, tangue verdi canyon, Sabino canyon, Mount Lemon.

Globe, as Aggie said is neat. There is also Payson, and Prescott. I find sedona sucky too many new age freaks building medicine wheels where they get in the way. But that is my Opinion.

Take a long weekend to get out and explore. If you can't get a long weekend right now go to the library and find the numerous Photo books on AZ and browse making a list of the areas you want to explore. If you are coming up to Canyon De Chelly drop me a line and I'll show you around the area.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would also head east. You can take 88 and the Apache Trail to Roosevelt Dam. Some gravel road or at least it used to be. You can get back taking 88 to 60 and west. A longer drive is the Chiricahua Nat Monument in the south east corner. Lot's of interesting rock forms. Tucson has the east and west Saguaro National Parks (or are they monuments?). Sabino Canyon is probably nice in the fall. Also there's a photo place at the U. Of AZ. Center for Creative Photography I think. Might be something you want to see. I live in the Midwest but have family in AZ and have visited many times. I can safely say that I've seldom taken a good landscape out there. Hard to get used to that light.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rulon Leman
    Hey all,
    I recently moved to Mesa in Arizona. I haven't had the chance to do much sightseeing since I've been down here. Anybody from the area know of some good places not to far from the city to go and do some photography?
    ~Rulon
    Welcome. I used to live in the Phoenix area myself. If you are looking for landscapes, there are many good places, one of my favorites, not too far from Mesa is to go out to the Superstition Mountains near Apache Junction. Great place for sunrise, early morning work. Also, check out the Saguaro National Park (West Unit) west of Tucson.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a comb with you if you're walking in the desert. It works well for cholla cactus, but not as well on rattlesnakes or gila monsters.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    one thing that really gets those tiny needles out of your hands is rubber cement.
    Paint it on the wound and let it dry and then when dry rub it off. Works really well.

lee\c

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't understand the comb thing.. sorry I'm dumb. But I usually take a small 22 with me when I'm out in the wilderness by myself
    ~Rulon
    The lamp just sat there, like an inanimate object.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rulon Leman
    I don't understand the comb thing
    The first time you get close to the cholla cactus you will understand. The cholla has lots of little barbs and sticks to anything that gets close to it. Good advice.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    Take a comb with you if you're walking in the desert. It works well for cholla cactus, but not as well on rattlesnakes or gila monsters.
    Make sure it is a fine tooth comb. The wide tooth comb will not catch the spines/barbs when you run it over your skin.

My son was just three years old when we moved to the Desert. He within minutes had a meeting with a cholla cactus. It hurt him, and his response was it was naughty so he had to spank it. He learned to not go near cactus.

Also make sure you have a good hat of a light color. Plenty of sunscreen, and lots of bottled water.
    Non Digital Diva

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin