Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,892   Online: 1051

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Ricketts Glen S.P. PA October 14-16 2011

Daleeman announced his travelling to RGSP this fall and a date was decided upon. The thread has been in the Great Lakes Group but I thought more interest might be raised here in the general forums.

So far Lee and I (amongst APUGers) are planning on going. For those familiar, we are planning on descending the Falls Trail on Saturday the 15th. For those who are not familiar, RGSP is located about 45 minutes west of Wilkes-Barre PA on PA118. This weekend also looks to coincide with fall colors, as close as anyone can guess. And the flowing water. Should be an awesome trip.

Here is the link to the park's site. Ricketts Glen State Park

There is a local small hotel nearby. Ricketts Glen Hotel

There are a couple of places to rest your crown in the nearby town of Benton.

The park has camping. The cabins are already taken. And there is a sharp elevation into the park from 118 (18% grade on 487 over the course of only two miles), about a 1400 elevation increase, IIRC. So, though the noghts might be bearable down low, it will be rather on the cold side up in the park.

So, Lee has a partner attending, that's three of us. Would anyone else like to join in the fun?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I could not make a reservation at the RG hotel so I am putting in at the Hampton Inn in Wilkes-Barre.

Would love that we could meet some others here.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thus far it is Daleeman, Flauvius and myself. Lee is staying in Benton. RG Hotel is booked. I am staying in the Hampton in Wilkes Barre Fri and Sat night.

876 Schechter Drive
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    United States, 18702
    Tel: 1 570-824-1005
    Fax: 1 570-824-1225
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There's no group thing as there hasn't been much interest as yet. Kind of a fend for onesself kinda thing.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So, we're three weeks out. So, exactly what are our plans going to be as to which parts of the loop are going to be traversed? I'm gonna tell ya, I'm not in the greatest shape but I'm thinking depart the park on the west side of the loop and heading down to PA118. That's about 3.1 miles, a good descent and the three highest falls are on this stretch.

Ideas folks? Anyone else planning on tagging along?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris, would that I could, however I have previous plans with my family. You picked what looks to be an ideal weekend for color, hopefully for weather as well.I live about 150 miles due west of there and our colors are about the same timing wise. Our woods are about 25-30% changing to early color and should be in near full flame by the 14th. That weekend will find us in Kinzua Country around the dam and Kinzua Bridge(19th century engineering marvel) for the same reason--color! Enjoy, and to all else considering joining at RGSP, I urge you to meet up there with Chris and Co.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Chris, would that I could, however I have previous plans with my family. You picked what looks to be an ideal weekend for color, hopefully for weather as well.I live about 150 miles due west of there and our colors are about the same timing wise. Our woods are about 25-30% changing to early color and should be in near full flame by the 14th. That weekend will find us in Kinzua Country around the dam and Kinzua Bridge(19th century engineering marvel) for the same reason--color! Enjoy, and to all else considering joining at RGSP, I urge you to meet up there with Chris and Co.
    Rick, break those plans off (if you can) and bust out and join us. Love to meet you and enjoy the great shooting before we all climb into our caves in the winter.

this will be my first time there so I am very excited. Ever been there?

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    So, we're three weeks out. So, exactly what are our plans going to be as to which parts of the loop are going to be traversed? I'm gonna tell ya, I'm not in the greatest shape but I'm thinking depart the park on the west side of the loop and heading down to PA118. That's about 3.1 miles, a good descent and the three highest falls are on this stretch.

Ideas folks? Anyone else planning on tagging along?
    Chris, I have been looking at maps and maybe we could meet up, leave one car behind, drive to trail head, make the walks one way and ferry back to the car at the trail heads. I'm not 24 anymore so Sue and I could certainly enjoy one way hikes, the thoughts of hikeing back up the hills is not fun with loads of equipment.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    Rick, break those plans off (if you can) and bust out and join us. Love to meet you and enjoy the great shooting before we all climb into our caves in the winter.

this will be my first time there so I am very excited. Ever been there?

Lee
    That is the weekend we always go north to visit my cousin, also morning of the 15th is the anual youth pheasant hunt that I take my daughter to. Last year she was the youngest kid, and the only girl, and out-shot ALL the boys (up to 18yo)and limited out on cock-birds before 10AM. We will be getting a late start to my cousins.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Have fun Rick. Sounds like you guys will have a great time. Hug your wife and kids extra lots. You'll all appreciate it.

Dale, I'm with you. I used to run 3.1 miles in under 18 minutes in high school. Lot of water, years and pounds have passed under that bridge. I was thinking start in the park on the west end of the loop and work down to the south and southeast and then head for 118. Car left on 118. Car left up top. It is about 3.1 miles and about a 1700 foot drop. As long as we keep heading down, it shouldn't be TOO bad.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin