Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,523   Posts: 1,543,813   Online: 766

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

What to do in Vienna...

... if you are not into museums, emperor/empress worship, palaces, art exhibitions, art deco, Hundertwasser, monuments, dining, wining, coffee drinking and power shopping - what else would you do in Vienna?

I was there a few times but never had enough time, now I do, and of course, I have some cameras with me.

There are some places I want to see:

- The Cemetery of the Nameless
    - The Prater amusement park
    - The open air markets Brunnenmarkt and Naschmarkt
    - Wienerwald and Donauinsel recreation areas

Where elese would you take your wife and two Leicas?
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    When I was there last year I was intrigued by the UN compound on the other side of the Danube, and all the bleak post modern architecture around it - adjacent to that is a large park with a communications tower that folks bungee jump off, but also affords a remarkable view of the city (best light before midday). The park itself has a little train in it and other oddities (a sign proclaiming "golf kills!"). Have fun!!!

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Visit the brick-and-mortar leicashop

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Failing all else, you could always waltz
    Ben

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Site worth visiting

You can visit the Krieau Horse Racing track (one of the oldest in Europe, and lots of fun to watch the spectators) near then Prater, racing days are Saturday and Sunday. The flea market at the Naschmarkt (only on Saturday). The Museumsquartier (nice mix of new and old architecture), The Zentralfriedhof (largest cemetery in Europe). The Palmenhaus in Schoenbrunn, the Schmetterlingshaus in the Burggarten and of course the Schoebrunn Zoo. The Augarten. The Haus des Meeres (Flak tower/ Anti Aircraft Tower).

Dominik

Shooter
    35mm RF
    On of my favorite cities. Yes, the Zentralfriedhof is worth the effort. So much history, and the park is stunning. Remember the closing scene of The Third Man?

Frankly, a viewing of The Third Man prior or during your visit to Vienna provides an amazing view of partitioned Vienna after WWII. Robert Krasker's cinematography is inspiring and magnificent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zentralfriedhof

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041959/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin