Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,979   Online: 821

Shooter
    Large Format

Zion in early March?

I did a search and didn't see anything on Zion for this time frame. What are your thoughts on a trip to Zion during the first part of March? What kind of weather can I expect? I'm not looking to go into the Narrows or wading the Virgin river as I know that will most likely be bad this time of year. I am looking for reflected light in the canyons and other interesting sights.

Cold is not a problem but wet weather, mud and general bad photography weather is. I'll be shooting primarily large format. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisi...nd-climate.htm

"Precipitation peaks in March," it sez.

Beautiful time to be there (as is any time IMHO), but maybe not such a fun time to be shooting a view camera there.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    I saw that too but it doesn't vary that much throughout the year. 2.1" in March, 1.8" in August and 1.5" in November. I'm wondering about overcast sky and other photography undesirables.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cold, cold, cold. A wet or drysuit will be necessary in the water. Be prepared for snow, which by my standards makes quite lovely photographs. No need to worry much about upsteam thunderstorms flooding the canyons. Light will be less directly overhead and so may mot reach the bottoms, where you will likely be. None of the deciduous trees will be leafed out (mid-April). But I'm with ya. No pain, no gain.

Shooter
    Large Format
    ROL: thanks for the reply. Again, I'm not planning to hike into the Narrows so wading the Virgin river is not on my list.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Angels Landing could be spectacular with some snow. Might also be very treacherous too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails angel_s_landing_1.jpg  

Images
    March is wicked unpredictable here in the Southwest. Beautiful but you never know what you will get. Could be warm, could be real freaking cold, most likely going to windy as this is when our spring winds begin...sometimes...like I said unpredictable.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can have snow. Many years ago I went there with a girlfriend in February. There were only 5 cars in Zion NP and four of them belonged to the park rangers. Thetwo of us found things to do that were not listed in the guide books!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin