Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,761   Online: 978

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans

Shooter
    35mm RF

New Orleans

Will be going to New Orleans with girlfriend, where we'll meet-up with some of her friends. Of course I'll bring at least one of my cameras, probably my Zeiss Ikon rangefinder and some film/lenses. Any tips on what to see/do/eat? Any shooting tips?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Surely one of America's Great cities. To see: the French Quarter (you could easily spend an entire day there) and the Garden District. PLEASE note: I would not recommend that you stray outside the boundries of the Quarter; crime (post-Katrina) continues to be a serious problem.
    Also, you really should rent a vehicle and make a trip up the River Road (or take I-10 up to Baton Rouge and then transfer on to Highway 61) and explore some of the Antebellum architecture in St Francisville (as well as the town itself). Of note: The Myrtles (just outside St Francisville, heading north), Rosedown, Oakley Plantation and the gardens/ruins at Afton Villa. Enjoy your trip!

BLK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ain't never been there.
    Enjoy The trip !

And Welcome Back !

Ron

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My New Orleans favorite is A Gallery http://www.agallery.com/

They show everything from contemporary alternative processes to the classics. Note where it is (in the Quarter). You are likely to find yourself walking right by it.

Have fun.

Chris Kleihege

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not as unsafe is people might label it. Sure, it's not a crime-free city, but which one is? Just don't travel alone at night outside of the quarter and don't wear fancy jewelry. I was in NOLA this January and again in March for my wedding and it was a-ok. Stayed outside of the Quarter both times.

One of my favorite places to visit while there is the cemeteries. There are some near the projects that may seem scary, but not so much during the day.

Another great area is City Park.

Food: Mothers. Mothers. Mothers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'll add an enthusiastic vote for a visit to A Gallery, always visit it wishing I had a few thousand dollars to invest in a classic photograph; and the above-ground cemeteries absolutely, and Mothers for breakfast downtown, just outside the Quarter. Look for the line of people waiting to get in - it is part of the experience.

You must also have a beignet plate at the original Cafe Du Monde on Decatur - do NOT wear black there, and check out the clubs on Frenchman Street, especially Snug Harbor, a well known jazz club/restaurant. And the last time I was down there I really enjoyed an upscale dinner in a little place called Bistro at Masion De Ville in the Quarter. Great selection of wines, wonderful seafood.

Great for street photography, informal portraits of wonderful characters and street performers, and authentic architecture.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    One of my favorite New Orleans restaurants is Susan Spicer's Bayona. You're making me hungry as I type. Have fun.
    http://www.bayona.com/

You might also try Jacques-Imo's Cafe for a more casual experience.
    www.jacquesimoscafe.com
    Last edited by Peter Spangenberg; 09-24-2011 at 01:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Longmore View Post
    And Welcome Back !
    Thanks. Became a member a while ago, but must admit I've sometimes forgot about it. However, we film users have to stick together as our numbers diminish, right?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Wow, thanks for all the fantastic tips!

Images
    Good Afternoon,

For food (breakfast/ lunch), try a Ruby Slipper restaurant. One is just off Canal Street near Carrollton. I think it's about 100 South Montez. The second one is, if I recall correctly, on Magazine Street, just a short block across Canal Street from the Marriott Hotel. The omelets are [I]hugh[I] (and taste good too)!

Konical

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin