Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,049   Online: 895

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airline policy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The restrictions are practically about dimensions of baggage so it can fit the space above seats. I never seen anyone at european airports weighting the carry on baggage during security check or before boarding so far, just make sure the size is within tolerance and you have only one piece/bag with you. As Ian said, put the rest into coat pockets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had my carry-on bags weighed in Europe, North America, and Asia -- like others have said, it depends on a variety of factors as to whether or not they'll single you out or not. Size and weight are two different factors -- bags can be checked at the gate if they are too big, but if they are too heavy have to go in the hold. I know with a couple of airlines it's a ploy to get more money out of you. If your bag is too heavy, it has to be checked. That puts it under checked bag allowance -- which likely means it will put you over the weight or piece allowance, in which case you have to pay the excess baggage fee. That being said, out of hundreds of flights flown, this has only happened a handful of times, so more than likely you'll be okay.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    You might like this...
    .... I created a little commotion a few years back with a cary-on packed with blads. and a viewcamera and a couple lenses.
    .... the "super" that came over looked at the "x-ray" image and said ... looks fine he is a real photographer!
    I had a twenty something demand to know "What is this" holding up my Yashicamat once.

When I told her it was a camera she told me that it certainly was not any kind of camera and called the supervisor. The middle aged supervisor asked what the trouble was, and she said that I was claiming that thing was a camera.

When the supervisor said that it it was indeed a camera the poor girl just grumbled that it didn't look like any camera she had ever seen.

Heaven knows what she would have thought of the film.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    cameras are consided personal items and usually don't fall into the weight classification. my rolling camera bag is over 30 lbs, but it fits the size for carry on and even in China where they are very picky about the weight I had no issues
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    In May, in Toronto, KLM did not like my (just) legal carry on camera bag; too big and too heavy. I had to repack in front of the ticket counter and my wife had to take some equipment into her carry on, some had to go in luggage.
    Coming back from Amsterdam, no trouble at all. Meanwhile, many ladies were carring on purses the size of steamer trunks as well as carry ons. They didn't think my 4x5 and medium format was personal.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I generally fly a fair bit but am not obsessive about it. I hate checked luggage so I squeeze my needs into a 60liter backpack and head off to where i need to go. Sometimes that bag weighs a good 40kg In some cases I came back with far more than I started with(read: 2 60 liter bags!) and still stuffed it into the overhead luggage while the attendants watched and snickered to each other. No harm no foul.
    In North America, Asia, Europe and Africa I have never had a bag weighed. When I asked about this i was told the weight restriction was all about whether you could stuff it in the overhead compartment w/o help, they knew the plane could carry it. i guess I always looked like I could handle the bags and so far have never been bothered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by peeniwali View Post
    I generally fly a fair bit but am not obsessive about it. I hate checked luggage so I squeeze my needs into a 60liter backpack and head off to where i need to go. Sometimes that bag weighs a good 40kg In some cases I came back with far more than I started with(read: 2 60 liter bags!) and still stuffed it into the overhead luggage while the attendants watched and snickered to each other. No harm no foul.
    until the locker pops open and the 40 kg bag falls on some poor soul.
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100/FM2n | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just took 11 flights through Australia, Asia, Middle-East, Russia and Europe and had no problems with my 10kg camera bag. The trick is that it looks pretty small (Kata 3N1-30, fits well within the carryon size limit) and I'm pretty big/strong, so it looks light when I carry it and no one picks on me. Nowhere did I see airlines weighing all carryon as a matter of course, but I wasn't in the USA where I think that might be more common. I had a couple of security-check people go "oof" at the weight and a couple of very detailed inspections in Russia (120 rolls look like 12-gauge blank shells, sort-of), but security are only responsible for things that go bang, not charging you for overweight luggage.

Shooter
    35mm
    A small tip -- arrive for check-in much in advance.. usually the ground staff are in a relaxed mood when they open the counters and some little jokes / good humour work well.. as said the trick is to have the backpack within the stipulated measures and it shouldn't appear that you're bogged down by its weight.. that's usually the case.. KLM outside their country of origin is usually a pain in the wrong place in this aspect.. they have a habit of sniffing out slightly heavier cabin baggage ) Lufthansa and many other European Airlines including Finnair [which the OP is flying] are usually cool..

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Undeerstood why a 4x5 might not fit in the personal classification.

More and more professionals are renting equipment when traveling for these very reasons.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin