Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,583   Posts: 1,545,778   Online: 1033

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airline policy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Airline policy

How strict are airline companies with weight limits for carry on baggage? Finnair has 8 kg limit /17.5 lb./ and just Mamiya Press with ground glass, 2 lenses and 2 film holders is around 3.5 kg. Thank you

next picture just as a illustration

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    ranges from stupidly strict to lax. I have had a backpack pass through on the way over and then the very same pack/weight rejected on the way back. It is totally up to the gate attendant. Best to abide by the rules.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think most of the time they're too busy to weigh your carry-ons, at least that's been my experience with flying domestically in the US, and on trips to Spain and Argentina. You could always leave the digi-thing at home and pack the tripod in your checked bag to help keep the carry-on weight down. Oh, and the tools like the knife, pliers and scissors can't go in carry-on bags any more either.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can't comment on Finnair but I have never had carry-on weighed. My suggestion would be to have the camera with a neck strap, get a couple of lens cases that fit on a belt or use a photo vest for some of your equipment, wear the heavy shoes, hold the tripod when checking in and put all that stuff in the bin to go through the x-ray and it may not be considered carry-on. I travel with a Tamrac camera backpack when loaded with the equipment I normally take weighs approx. 25lbs plus a carbon fiber tripod in a separate bag. So far it has not been weighed.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It varies quite a lot by airline, airport, and individual agent, and in my experience intra-European flights are the most rigid about it. I've only flown Finnair once, and I don't remember them taking any special note of my rather heavy rollaboard, though I'm quite sure it was over 8 kg. (This was a transatlantic flight, though, not within Europe.)

If you give it a try, it would be wise to have a Plan B in case you're forced to check something. Also, they may weigh your carryon bag but not your backpack, so you might try to offload some of the weight to the latter to keep the bag weight down. (I think the only airline that ever weighed my backpack was the completely appalling Clickair, which along with Alitalia constituted my "don't you ever ever EVER book me on this airline" list.)

Oh, and an unsolicited pro tip: Finnair's galleys normally stock cloudberry liqueur. Good, good stuff.

-NT
    Last edited by ntenny; 10-03-2011 at 12:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: adding the drink recommendation
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A tip is wear a coat with BIG pockets, use these for lenses etc, you can carry one camera on it's neck strap.

As Eric says often they are lax other times extremely strict, anyway most of your equipment can go in the hold luggage, just the film and most expensive equipment by hand. I've been stopped and my carry on backpack had to go in the hold. Other times just scrapped through.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You might like this...
    .... I created a little commotion a few years back with a cary-on packed with blads. and a viewcamera and a couple lenses.
    .... the "super" that came over looked at the "x-ray" image and said ... looks fine he is a real photographer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    You might like this...
    .... I created a little commotion a few years back with a cary-on packed with blads. and a viewcamera and a couple lenses.
    .... the "super" that came over looked at the "x-ray" image and said ... looks fine he is a real photographer!
    Ha... that's great. I had similar experience about 5 years ago at a small airport in California. The two screeners x-rayed my camera bag and then were doing a lot of discussing. One of them came to me and announced that they would have to hand inspect my bag... but very quickly admitted that they just wanted to look at the camera since they had never personally handled a Hasselblad. Since there were no other passengers waiting we spent 10 minutes together. I was flattered and they were thrilled.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for lot of a great advices an tips

Shooter
    35mm
    In the winter of 1971 when I was coming back from a six month say in Europe (three month first class Eurailpass: USD 250) I boarded my Icelandic Airlines (now Icelandair) plane in Luxembourg and saw a fellow passenger (successfully!!!) in the boarding area with literally half a Volkswagen bug. This was, obviously, not 'carry on' but the liberal policies then were quite different and he actually flew with it in tow.

How did I afford this long trip? Back then a USD got FOUR Swiss francs. NOW? Less than ONE. That's how.

Later that year (15 Aug 1971) the US went off the final vestige of the gold standard and overnight you got only three Sfrs to the USD. - David Lyga

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin