Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,228   Online: 994

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ecuador - Quito and Cuenca

Had to use some airline vouchers.
    Ecuador is only 4 hours away from MIA - it looked good since the Galapagos are always a possibility if I find a good last minute deal.

As I do more research, I am concerned with the security situation.
    In the last few years, I have traveled to Peru and Chile and never felt unsafe.
    I speak the lingo.
    Ecuador may be a different situation.

Besides Quito and Cuenca, I also plan to visit Otavalo, Cotopaxi National Park, and Cajas National Park.

I am more of a landscape photographer and normally travel with medium format on a tripod.
    May end up taking a digital for the Galapagos.
    Will be traveling with my wife.

I don't expect issues outside the cities.
    I would like to shoot in the historic centers of Quito and Cuenca.

Looking for recent experiences traveling to Quito and Cuenca.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was there 3 years ago. No problem with quito then elsewhere on the planet.
    We had almost the same trip. (i think they all do the same) Cotapaxi was very nice.

The galapagos was very nice to experience, but less good for photographing.
    You are only allowed a certain timespan on each island (by the minute) and not able to walk free and you have to keep up with the guide.
    So to create marvalous shots at sundown when everything is perfect, forget it.

KEK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My son studied there for 4 months about 2 years ago. He lived in Quito but traveled a fair amount thru out the country. He didn't think Quito was any less safe than any other large city but he was told that if you came across a large group of people leave the area. The goverment doesn't like that and will get out the water cannons to disperse the crowd. The year before my son was there a student from his school got caught in the crowd was run over and badly injured. My sons own experience was that he had his pocket picked on a crowded bus,had to leave a soccer game when a brawl started in the stands, a cab he was in had an accident(he said it was pretty funny how they settle disputes when there is an accident. the drivers don't call the police they call relatives and who ever gets the most people to come to the accident wins) and while he was jogging thru a park near his home a homeless man tryed to hold him up with a broken bottle. Another group from his school was held up at gun point and I think they were in the historic section. So now that I've given you the bad review my son said he had a great time and would go back in a heartbeat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin