Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,103   Online: 804

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Times Square, NY

Hi everyone,

I've finally made it out to Times Square with work and used virtually all of my luggage allowance to bring the Deardorff 10x8 and a good tripod. I'd love to try and get some night shots of the square in my free time.

Last time I was here the square was full of people using tripods but now there are none. The NY filming website suggests that I don't need a permit for stills with a tripod that doesn't claim exclusive use of the space. Anyone had any experience here? I've never used a camera in the US and I'm keen not to get deported or shot...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a tripod in times square for my Pentax 6x7, but not an 8x10. I have seen many others use a tripod. You might get hassled, but unless you do something crazy, I can't see you being deported. Just be careful riding your bike in Central Park. I got a "failure to comply" ticket that required me to attend court (which I did not attend). It almost resulted in me having a criminal record for biking on a path that wasn't supposed to be biked on for that one weekend (they had a pylon with a no biking sign on it that didn't exist the next day -a nice little trap).

You can jay-walk all you want, run red lights on your bike and if you're drinking in public, it's only $25. So, don't be surprised if you hassled. I doubt you will get deported though. But stranger things have happened in NYC. Just be as quick as you can.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin