Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,503   Online: 857

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's just an escalation of the malice behind "restocking fees" where a flat % of the purchase total is deducted from the refund.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't pay it, but then I also wouldn't go into a retail store, examine the goods, ask questions, see how the camera feels in my hands and then buy it from the online store where the price is cheaper. There are two sides to this and most other stories. My guess is this policy is a reaction to folks who go into the retail store and do exactly what I suggest they shouldn't do. It reminds me of a Steve McQueen line in The Sand Pebbles which went something like, "Everyone has to earn their bowl of rice." The shop here, buy elsewhere behavior of some, deprives the owner of the business of their opportunity to earn their bowl of rice. Another cut on it for those who have no intention of buying from the retailer is that the shopper in essense is stealing from the retailer, by using the resources of the store with no opportunity for the store owner earn part of his overhead from this use of his stores resources. I buy plenty from the local stores, however I don't use them to shop for stuff I will buy elsewhere. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Obviously, those from America don't get the Australian market and our buying habits from the past. (below are just my thoughts and observations)

Australia does mail order bad. Real bad. So, in the past, before the internet explosion nearly all goods were bought from Bricks and Mortar stores. This involved looking at the products, getting the run through by the sales rep, maybe a little haggling on the price and then buying. From my observations of how my parents and parents of friends did thing, buying something unsighted was not heard of and was fraught with danger. Also, the only time you bought stuff from Overseas was when you did that holiday to Hong Kong or Singapore.

But, since the internet boom, Australian consumers have become educated. We can look at other stores and find out what they charge in other countries, but most still want to have the safety net of looking at and handling the goods before making a purchasing decision. So, yes, it is very common in this country to window shop at the B&M's and then buy online.

The only thing that hasn't changed in the mean time is the Big retailers, distributors and manufacturers. They whine and moan about us buying stuff cheaply overseas, so instead of reviewing their business models, they make it harder for us! What do they expect us to do? I find it really unjust that Corporations want to play the global market place when it comes to sourcing goods, but get upset when the consumers ALSO play the global market place when we come to purchasing.

I always find it surprising that places like B&H have such a huge World Wide online business, but If I was in Down Town New York (correct me if I am wrong), I could just as easily walk into their showrooms. And yes, they do online/mail order properly (I have goods in my hands quicker from them, then when ordering from Melbourne!)

The companies that will succeed in this country are going to be the ones that sit back and look at the big picture, adjust their business models and make themselves competitive on a global market. The big problem is that change will be needed from the Global headquarters down.

As a side note, I do support my local retailers where I can, but only those that go out of their way to help - I will plug Total Photographics in Adelaide as one of those. Sure, their prices are not the same as what is payed O/S, but they always will help and are willing to talk when I need something NOW!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    If this becomes a trend, can I start charging people who bug me a nuisance fee?
    Here, for the first offense you could make it double your moderator's per diem!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those are film cameras, right?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's a bit off-topic but actually similar in many respects. I've become sick to death of call centre operators who ring at evening meal time and try to run a spiel past you that you've been "specially selected" blah blah. They'll never give an address from which they're calling or a number you can phone them back on. They'll never send any hard copy to peruse because it's always a "special deal, only available over the phone tonight". Most of them have Indian accents.
    I'm retired now, but when I was doing international consulting for a major US corporation they charged the clients $2500 per day for my time.
    I have now taken to pointing this out to the unwanted callers, telling them that this equates to $5 per minute, and how much of my time are they wanting to buy in order to tell me about their offer. That usually results in an immediate hang-up but for those that persist I simply tell them that when they have deposited 20 minutes worth of time to my bank account they can ring back, I'll go online to check that the payment has been received and then I'll take their call. At the end of 20 minutes I'll hang up whether they're finished or not.
    You can hear the confusion and choking all the way to Bangalore.
    Leica M6,
    Bessa R4A,
    Rolleiflex(s) 2.8/80, 4/135, 4/55.
    Nikkormat FTn
    Fuji X10

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Youdale View Post
    It's a bit off-topic but actually similar in many respects. I've become sick to death of call centre operators who ring at evening meal time and try to run a spiel past you that you've been "specially selected" blah blah. They'll never give an address from which they're calling or a number you can phone them back on. They'll never send any hard copy to peruse because it's always a "special deal, only available over the phone tonight". Most of them have Indian accents.
    I'm retired now, but when I was doing international consulting for a major US corporation they charged the clients $2500 per day for my time.
    I have now taken to pointing this out to the unwanted callers, telling them that this equates to $5 per minute, and how much of my time are they wanting to buy in order to tell me about their offer. That usually results in an immediate hang-up but for those that persist I simply tell them that when they have deposited 20 minutes worth of time to my bank account they can ring back, I'll go online to check that the payment has been received and then I'll take their call. At the end of 20 minutes I'll hang up whether they're finished or not.
    You can hear the confusion and choking all the way to Bangalore.
    There is a government website you can go to (I forget the url) where you can get your number de-listed for telemarketers.

Warning, expect to get pissed off because they won't pay you for the time you spend doing it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is Do Not Call:
    https://www.donotcall.gov.au/
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Thanks Gary.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've done that, but it doesn't seem to affect callers from overseas using the VOLP technology (phoning over computer systems similar to Skype). It does work for local (OZ-based) callers.
    Leica M6,
    Bessa R4A,
    Rolleiflex(s) 2.8/80, 4/135, 4/55.
    Nikkormat FTn
    Fuji X10

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin