Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,500   Online: 694

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldglass View Post
    I fully sympathize with the owners of brick and mortar stores these days.

$30 is too steep (even from a good store dedicated to cameras).

But I won't be adversed if a new custom of tipping store clerks for good information (or demo) can somehow be presented without too much of a hassle.

After all, you tip your waiter for serving, don't you?
    Tipping? What's that? We're Australian's... we don't tip

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was discussing this matter with one of my sons and he had a very interesting reply, he sad "the customers are just exploiting the stores because in the current economic climate they have the upper hand for many years the shops had the upper hand and mercilessly exploited the general public for all they were worth, as Karl Marx said "capitalism is savagery" .
    Ben

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I was discussing this matter with one of my sons and he had a very interesting reply, he sad "the customers are just exploiting the stores because in the current economic climate they have the upper hand for many years the shops had the upper hand and mercilessly exploited the general public for all they were worth, as Karl Marx said "capitalism is savagery" .
    It's true. Canadian photo gear distributors hosed consumers for years with pricing unhitched from Canada/US dollar exchange rates--prices 20-40% higher weren't uncommon. eBay and online sales generally left them crying and retailers hurting but where was it written this kind of extortion would last forever? It still goes on but on a smaller scale. Tire kicking? They asked for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that an examination fee is justifiable if they've been loosing a lot of time to gawkers walking in and handling the merchandise, then leaving with no sale. The worst part of that is the time lost from paying activities, like repairs. However, I think that the shop should credit the exam fee towards a purchase if one is eventually made.

I do something similar in my line of work; was losing too much time to time wasters looking for free info, and then they go home and purchase web products.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes and Cdn distributors have much higher fixed costs, bilingual packaging, benefits, wages, severance pay, freight, payroll taxes, UI and pension premiums, etc in a market 1/10th the size of the US. Now see what happens when CDN employers want to lower the wages they pay. Everyone screams blue murder. If you want US pricing in Canada, you'll have to settle for US style wages and benefits(almost none) and health insurance costs, not to mention paying approx twice the price for prescription drugs.
    Bob

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Yes and Cdn distributors have much higher fixed costs, bilingual packaging, benefits, wages, severance pay, freight, payroll taxes, UI and pension premiums, etc in a market 1/10th the size of the US. Now see what happens when CDN employers want to lower the wages they pay. Everyone screams blue murder. If you want US pricing in Canada, you'll have to settle for US style wages and benefits(almost none) and health insurance costs, not to mention paying approx twice the price for prescription drugs.
    Pull the other one. Any idea how few people work for Amplis, Nadel, and DayMen? What accounts for Nikon.ca waking up a few years ago and putting prices roughly on par with US prices? Never got much love from Canadian distributors. I'll live with a 10-15% spread but not 30-40%. They've historically charged what they felt the market would bear--a strategy that's plainly not working any longer. Small sellers like the dvshop in Toronto regularly undersell their sleepy competition at Vistek and Henry's. What about film prices? There's no Kodak.ca and Fujifilm.ca runs with a skeleton crew in Mississauga. If I want US pricing, I shop at B&H.

Shooter
    Large Format
    When I had a store I would spend 20 minutes explaining a 5.97 bird feeder and bird feeding in general and then the customer said that he was going to buy it at Canadian Tire but that they do not know anything about them so he came in for advice and acted like I should be happy about that (same feeder was 5.99 at Canadian Tire by the way). Many on forums suggest going to a store and trying out all the cameras and having everything explained to them and then order on line because it is cheaper .

I could not see charging a customer for looking at merchandise or for talking to them but the other side of the coin is that if small shops are only there for info and to help us decide what to order on line, do not complain when all the actual stores disappear and on line is the only place to get stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Our local camera shop has been selling and explaining stuff for big box customers for years.
    People have no shame anymore.

Shooter
    Large Format
    As far as Canadian prices for photo stuff goes, when I had my store we sold Pentax binoculars but not cameras. I did get the price list though and I could barely buy a camera wholesale for what the big mail order (1990s) stores in the US sold them for. I would not be able to compete with them at all as even just taking a credit card would have meant losing money on the item. But in the little store I had selling about 15 pairs of binos per year my customers got them for less than those big mail order places sold them for. My point is that the manufacturer may have different pricing for different products in the various markets. With cameras if I did sell them a customer would have claimed that I was making too much money selling it for $400 when he could get it for 350 in the States but I would have been paying maybe 395 or more for it myself. Retails are often driven by wholesale prices more than what it sells for in another country. And even selling the binoculars less than they were in the US or London Drugs I would still get people coming into the store who were not regular customers demanding deep discounts on them, and I would have to say no because a sale without a profit is a losing sale unless it is old merchandise that you wished to clear.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by redrockcoulee View Post
    When I had a store I would spend 20 minutes explaining a 5.97 bird feeder and bird feeding in general and then the customer said that he was going to buy it at Canadian Tire but that they do not know anything about them so he came in for advice and acted like I should be happy about that (same feeder was 5.99 at Canadian Tire by the way). Many on forums suggest going to a store and trying out all the cameras and having everything explained to them and then order on line because it is cheaper .

I could not see charging a customer for looking at merchandise or for talking to them but the other side of the coin is that if small shops are only there for info and to help us decide what to order on line, do not complain when all the actual stores disappear and on line is the only place to get stuff.
    With respect, anyone in retail can usually smell a "crock" and limit the damage by cutting the face time short, especially if it's plain they're tire kicking or looking for entertainment. Most camera shop help I contact isn't much more into the stock than BestBuy staff. With so many reviews and pricing info online for almost anything, any rube stumbling into a store for looking for demo and show isn't likely to graduate to customer.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin