Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,506   Online: 1018

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

"Explanation Fee" for tyre-kickers...

This is just bizarre. Pity it has to happen here in Australia. A fee is charged by the salesperson to bring a camera out for perusal. Ha!
    But who in their right mind would shop for a camera at JB Hi-Fi??
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I were asked to pay a $30 "explanation fee" I would want to be absolutely certain that the person giving advice is knowledgeable, experienced in photography, 100% correct, and not giving biased comment based on the amount of mark-up the store expects and/or commission the salesperson expects to receive on each brand. I am not at all confident that I could find such a person behind the counter of even the dedicated camera shops, e.g. Teds, so the chance of finding such a person in the likes of JB Hi-Fi is about as good as finding a snow flake in Hell.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Given the circumstances, who could blame them.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Again customers are treated like crooks. No wonder we don't want to buy retail.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ^ The crux of the matter is best summed up in the post by wotalegend and I agree with it entirely.

—Anon.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Ha? So if you get a knowledgable, unbiased review of the camera you're happy to pay them 2 hours' wages for it?

This, IMO, will drive more people to the internet. And those disgruntled won't shop at JBHIFI's 'grey' webstore.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I sold cameras while I was in college, I would spend a half hour to an hour and a half selling a camera to have the customer drive across town and buy it elsewhere to save $2. Then they would come back for help because they did not understand the directions.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Ha? So if you get a knowledgable, unbiased review of the camera you're happy to pay them 2 hours' wages for it?

This, IMO, will drive more people to the internet. And those disgruntled won't shop at JBHIFI's 'grey' webstore.

That's right. Should we be expecting Harvey Norman to introduce a "pestilence fee", to make a quick buck on the sideline? What else could turn you away?

I buy all of my gear from the web, as I know many on APUG do. That's why retail in Australia is carping, wanting the GST threshold raised to curb shoppers' relentless pursuit of goods online — now valued in the billions. For me, when and if I can help it, no money is spent locally on film, cameras, lenses, filters, etc. E6 and printing is the only stuff I actively organise, travel for, oversee production and pay for it. Retail stores lost their grip and focus years ago, but some good ones do exist: Melbourne APUGers will know who I mean. It is now consumer-driven, "the next best thing" and "must have" at any price. The mentioned Ted's in this thread was once a top-notch store with a serious professional outlet upstairs run by seriously professional photographers. Along came a digital and the game changed: it's now a bag place: bags, pouches, gimmicks and gizmos. The hard-sell approach by JB HiFi often results in being swamped with useless information, but they have, according to my niece, beaten the pants off a competitor when she haggled for a better price for a Nikon (can't recall the model). She was told to go there because my sister and her hubby are shareholders in JB HiFi (!). Thankfully, Michaels, a very long established cameras bolthole close by, still looks after film photographers and passionately endeavours to source film cameras, even if the young guns there need some steering back on course with conversations that sometimes drift: "...you might be very impressed by the results from digital compared to that..." (pointing dismissively to my Pentax 67!). I reckon here on APUG beginners would get much better, honest, truthful and grounded advice than walking into a retail outlet and expecting to invoke the power of Hades in a few precious minutes.

—Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    If this becomes a trend, can I start charging people who bug me a nuisance fee?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    If this becomes a trend, can I start charging people who bug me a nuisance fee?

I used to advocate for a P.I.N. fee where I used to work. (Pain In Neck)
    Ronin

"Place your clothes and [cameras] where you can find them in the dark.”
    with apologies to Robert Heinlein

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin