Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,507   Online: 1036

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Buying old cameras that contain undeveloped film

Sometimes I come across old cameras in junk shops which contain exposed but undeveloped film. I once bought a Leica II which had an old film in it. When I processed it, I found it to be a series of images of Eva Braun playing in the Bavarian Alps. However, they weren’t very well composed so I threw them away. Have others come across cameras containing film they developed showing surprising images.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It creeps me out, like finding stuff left behind by a previous tenant/owner. Artifacts without milieu that don't really matter. Eva Braun???

More interesting are old rolls that never got developed after going MIA. Found some recently that went back over 20 years. Suppose everyone has a few "Winogrand" rolls hiding out at home.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found 3 old 120 rolls in the attic when I started the first part of my house refurb.

One disintegrated when I tried to roll it on to a reel, one the markings on the backing paper showed up on the developed film, the third turned out perfect.

I believe they are the previous owner's son in the boyscouts at the weather bureau.

Kinda neat. Once I can print them I'll see about getting them to the son.
    Last edited by donkee; 01-02-2012 at 03:38 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typos

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, This guy has made a hobby of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had some of these "found film" experiences, though never with anything extremely interesting. A couple of old sheets of film turned out to have a nice Pacific Northwest landscape and a picture of the Clark County (Washington) courthouse, circa 1955.

Folders in antique and junk shops seem often to have old rolls in them. The shops usually won't separate the camera from the film, however, and I can't justify too much buying of otherwise uninteresting cameras for the sake of the film. Someone who was into collecting low-end folders could do a lot of this stuff.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If it really was Eva Braun, I definitely would have kept it. I've bought my share of old camera by now and have come up with a couple of rolls inside them. They're still sitting in my dresser drawrer, waiting for me to send them to North Dakota. I actually think it's cool to find stuff like that. It's sort of like a message in a bottle.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kent, I agree that \i'd have kept the photos of Eve Braun. A museum would all but always appreciated having them in a collection. Depending on the setting, it might also be possible to have traced the Leica to the owner at the time the photo was taken which might have been very interesting in itself. Imagine finding a Leica used by Hitler, Bormann, Goring, etc. or similar high level NAZI. The historic value might be immense. We have many images from the regime but I do not see many associated cameras belonging to the party elite that have been verified; even those made with the symbols of the regime and military tend not to be traced back to the users. I wonder if deep in the Leica archives there are such references. I'd imagine it could be possible that if Hitler had a Leica it may have been specially made for him and these would be a record or, others. Yes, I know Leica was not a NAZI active supporter and what it did for its Jewish employees but, it did have to live in the reality of the regime and do business.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    Kent, I agree that \i'd have kept the photos of Eve Braun. A museum would all but always appreciated having them in a collection. Depending on the setting, it might also be possible to have traced the Leica to the owner at the time the photo was taken which might have been very interesting in itself. Imagine finding a Leica used by Hitler, Bormann, Goring, etc. or similar high level NAZI. The historic value might be immense. We have many images from the regime but I do not see many associated cameras belonging to the party elite that have been verified; even those made with the symbols of the regime and military tend not to be traced back to the users. I wonder if deep in the Leica archives there are such references. I'd imagine it could be possible that if Hitler had a Leica it may have been specially made for him and these would be a record or, others. Yes, I know Leica was not a NAZI active supporter and what it did for its Jewish employees but, it did have to live in the reality of the regime and do business.
    Tall tale? Pitched pix of Eva Braun(who knew?)because he didn't like the composition? Right.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Moopheus, thanks for that, wonderful. That is just the response hoped for from my joke post. I didn't really develop a film showing pictures of Eva Braun. However, whenever I do find a camera containing unprocessed film I would always develop it. It's like saving moments in time, otherwise lost forever.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    When I processed it, I found it to be a series of images of Eva Braun playing in the Bavarian Alps. However, they weren’t very well composed so I threw them away.
    Are some of you walking around with one leg longer than another? cliveh is pulling your leg!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin