Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,564   Online: 1151

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    How about a sketching course?

A friend got me started on woodcuts and sketches and such and that helped get me out of a prolonged funk.
    Curiously, I do draw and make etchings and linocuts! However the photographs I prefer are chaotic, not finely composed and consequently the editing process is more exercise in discovery than it used to be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no such thing as genuine "intuitive" in photography ; at least in my experience. People often point 'n click cameras with hope, optimism, curiosity, earnest intent, and maybe a few other motivations but intuition doesn't come into it. The nearest I've seen is the aleatory approach where everything is shot incessantly and maybe something nice will be discovered on the contact sheets.

In my time as a gallerist looking at portfolio after portfolio from hopeful photographers I heard them say "intuitive" quite often but inevitably "intuitive" was a code word or excuse for: "I really like this picture but I don't know how I got it". "Intuitive" sounds a lot better than "lucky" but it amounts to the same thing if you shoot enough frames.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    "Intuitive" sounds a lot better than "lucky" but it amounts to the same thing if you shoot enough frames.
    You are of course entitled to your own opinion but I strongly disagree

There are individuals who can, when standing at one perspective, easily imagine the scene from another and move appropriately. (If you know an architect, you will likely find that spatial intuition in that person as well) I also know individuals who can't see a damn thing unless it's through a viewfinder. And there are photographers who have a real knack for sensing what others will find effective.

Personally, I have a number of shots in my head that I haven't been able to take yet. We got into a lengthy discussion about 'previsualization' in this context.

Whether you call it "intuition" or imagination or something else, whatever. Semantics are less important than knowing that there is a big difference between spray 'n pray and what most skilled photographers do.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    You are of course entitled to your own opinion but I strongly disagree

There are individuals who can, when standing at one perspective, easily imagine the scene from another and move appropriately. (If you know an architect, you will likely find that spatial intuition in that person as well) I also know individuals who can't see a damn thing unless it's through a viewfinder. And there are photographers who have a real knack for sensing what others will find effective.

Personally, I have a number of shots in my head that I haven't been able to take yet. We got into a lengthy discussion about 'previsualization' in this context.

Whether you call it "intuition" or imagination or something else, whatever. Semantics are less important than knowing that there is a big difference between spray 'n pray and what most skilled photographers do.

I second this---good comments.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I have been at it so long, LF for over 70 years, that I suppose even the calculations are essentially intuitive.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have been at it only half the time you have, Jim, but I agree -- the technical becomes intuitive after awhile.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin